If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
aakash.ahuja101
Forum Guests

Please evaluate my profile - MBA

by aakash.ahuja101 Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi my name is aakash ahuja.

Work experience: 3.5 years or 4.5 years at matriculation'

Company i work for : Ernst & Young LLP

Work profile: Senior analyst in their backend/offshore business consulting function. Work involves supporting client engagements (diversification strategies, M&A target identification etc.). Mentor/coach to 5 other analysts and associates.

Education background : Master's in Business Economics from Delhi University (it is not an MBA course but a master's course focused more on economics and data analytics - read econometrics); Also have a bachelor's degree in computer science engineering but that was between 2006-10 - not sure how relevant it is now.

Academic performance: Rank 7 in Master's course (63.5% - not sure if they take this as absolute because it is not easy to score high in master's course in Delhi University).
B.Tech (computer science) - GPA:3.5

GMAT: 710 (Q:50, V:35)

Additional certifications: CFA (level 2 passed), Mensa International - former member, India chapter

Extra curricular: medium-strong

I wanted to know which MBA colleges should I apply to. I am thinking of applying to Anderson, Tepper, McCombs, ISB, NUS and Nanyang.
Also is my GMAT score too low to be applying to colleges like Ross, Fuqua, Darden etc.? Particularly given the fact that I come from an over-represented pool of candidates that is Indian male. But please note that I am not part of the Indian IT male pool.

Also, Will my work experience stand out in the pool?

Looking forward to your reply.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Please evaluate my profile - MBA

by mbaMissionKate Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi Aakash!
Thanks for sharing your profile. Your work experience seems quite strong...that's great you work for a global firm like EY, and also great that you have team lead experience mentoring others. I do think that will help to differentiate you. Do you have any experience working / traveling abroad for work? That is one other way you could help to differentiate your application amongst a competitive pool.
Your performance in past degrees, both your bachelor's and master's definitely do matter - they help to prove you can handle the rigorous MBA curriculum.
Your question about GMAT at schools like Ross and Fuqua is a tough one...your score is definitely high enough to apply there, but there will be many other applicants from your demographic applying with much higher GMATs. But since it's a holistic application review process, you could stand out in other aspects of your application. That being said, those are very competitive programs, so do make sure you have a range of options to be safe.
Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php