If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
kd

Please help...profile evaluation

by kd Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:14 am

Hi people,

After reading your responses in this forum, I hope you will be able to offer some valuable advice.

Here is my profile.
======

Academics : BS computer science 3.99 GPA / MS computer science 3.76 GPA. BS from a private college. MS from one of the better engineering state schools (ranked 16th for my field).

GMAT : 760 (49 Q, 44 V), AWA 5.5

Work ex :
As a software engineer with 5 years full time experience at a reputed but smallish (200 people) software company.
- grew rapidly within my firm (promoted twice in the first 2.5 years). have been a lead on projects for the last 3 years (responsible for everything from req analysis to final delivery). my official title however is still senior software engineer (as its a small firm, their is no corporate ladder to speak off). basically, I have done well at my firm and will get good recommendations.
- my firm and thus my work is in product development, which is a little different from IT/consulting type software roles. Basically, we have a software product that is developed completely inhouse (Kind of like how microsoft develops and sells MS Office).
-I worked through out my school years - 2 internships outside of schools (Ericsson and a Not-For-Profit) and various jobs within the university (managed the
computer center, did some research which I got a paper out of)

Co-curriculars :
I have recently started mentoring students in NYC schools as part of Junior Achievment NY (a not-for-profit member organization).
I have been a member of CRY (child relief and you) and mainly helped organize fund raisers.
I was the secretary of the Indian graduate students organization during grad school.

Other notables :
I am originally from India and did my high school there. I moved to the US when I was 17 after winning a scholarship. Financed my entire education and living expenses on my own (Scholarships, work-study, internships etc.) and went through some tough times financially as my parents were unable to offer any support. It was also a very interesting/challenging experience as my family background made me the first to take this route. Finished my degrees (175 credits) in 4.5 years flat.
======

Post MBA, I am interested in Management consulting or entrepreneurship. I am still digging into future options, but I believe that an MBA opens up lots of opportunities for me, and I am sure to like some of them, so I am not fixated on my current preferences.

Could you please opine about what my chances would be at the following schools? I am trying to decide whether I have a shot anywhere in the top 15.

A - Cornell, NYU, Darden, Duke, Michigan, Anderson
B - Columbia, Berkeley, MIT, Chicago, Yale, Tuck
C - Wharton, Kellog
D - European schools (LBS, Insead, HEC, Oxford)

Here are my questions. They are quite a few, but please answer whatever you can because at this stage...every bit of information is useful to me.

1. My personal take is that my profile so far will make it challenging for me to get into a top 15 school/good european schools if I apply in Fall 08. What is your opinion?

2. However, I have'nt given up yet. I can postpone my application for 2.5 years (i.e. apply in Fall 2010 and start in Fall 2011), or preferably 1.5 years (apply in Fall 09 start in Fall 2010). So, I will start my MBA when I am 29 or 30. Yes, it is a little late, but so what...I am ready to bear the downside provided that I can get in to a top 10 school at the end of this time. In the time that I have (min 1.5 years, max 2.5 years) I can improve in areas where I am weak. I suppose AdComs look for well rounded individuals with solid life achievements and career progression. Well, I can devote this time to developing myself in ways that makes me a more ideal candidate. For instance,
I could join a bigger more well known firm (such as Google, Microsoft etc.) to get better branding and a different set of valuable experiences.
I could do more with the volunteering activities I have started recently
As my ultimate career goal is to start a company, I could work on that from now on.

Do you think I have a shot if applying in Fall 09 or Fall 10? Is this enough time to remove the weaknesses in my app? Or is my background so not "MBAish" that it is now very difficult for me to get in to one of the above schools? Basically, how much water am I in?

3. I have the alternate of doing a part-time if full-time admit is very difficult. How would you rate my chances at Haas? I think NYU Stern part-time would not be so tough for me as I have seen people with weaker profiles get in. Not sure about Haas.

Thanks!
MBAApply

by MBAApply Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Here's the good news. There are no real concerns or major holes in your candidacy -- you seem to have a solid profile all around. You have solid work experience, good extracurriculars, GMAT/GPA aren't a concern at all, and realistic career goals that lots of MBAs pursue (consulting). You're also in the sweet spot in terms of age and years of experience (most engineering types who get into top b-schools are in their mid- to late-20s, with around 5 years experience or so).

The bad news is, there's also tons of folks with engineering backgrounds and very similar profiles and career trajectories to benchmark against. In other words, you are simply one of many IT/software engineers (of any nationality) applying.

In short, you are a solid middle-of-the-road candidate for a top b-school. In other words, schools such as Wharton, Kellogg, MIT, Chicago, Columbia, and Tuck are a reach for you (i.e. you can do all you can and still have a good chance of not getting in). Schools such as Cornell, NYU, Darden, Michigan, UCLA, Yale and Haas are more in your range (schools where if you put in a strong application, you should have a decent shot of getting in). As for Euro schools, only apply to them if you're sure on working in Europe post-MBA, otherwise I wouldn't bother. You've listed a LOT of schools, and I trust you can do your research to narrow down that list to around 4 - 6 schools. To be honest, I think you're taking a machine gun approach, hoping others will help you narrow it down for you.

Anyhow, if you're going to apply, you should do so sooner than later. Don't wait a few years - you're in the sweet spot right now in terms of age and experience.

Good luck

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
kd

thanks

by kd Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:01 am

Hi Alex,

thanks for your feedback. Its good to hear that I have a decent shot at the next level of schools after the topmost tier. Your point about being in the sweet spot is esp good. I will focus on shoring up my volunteer activities, getting good recos, and putting in a solid app.

-- I just bought your book, so hopefully thats a good place to continue my research.

I do believe in applying to as many schools as possible provided that there is enough time to put in quality apps. no point in a shoddy application, but if one can put in a quality app, why not try. the only downside i see is that I have heard that second time apps are usually not good...so if I apply everywhere and don't get in, it spoils my chances for next year. but, have heard conflicting opinions on second time apps...so not sure.

Lets assume that I am prepared enough to apply in 2008 for schools in my range (say NYU). Lets also for the sake of argument assume that I find it really important to get in at a school one level up (say MIT). One strategy I have in mind is to apply to NYU (+other schools in my range) and if I get in, defer my admission for a year. That gives me one more year to make a last ditch, all out effort towards schools that are a level up. Also, I am safe as worst comes to worst, I have a good school in the bag. So, it comes down to
a. what more I can do within that year (or 1 year 8 months counting from now until Fall 09) to make me feasible for some of these schools. Perhaps as you said, there is little that can be done. But OTOH, if I think outside the box, may be there is a way to do something that distinguishes me from other engineers with similar backgrounds.

b. lets say I still don't get in. Now, will being a year older seriously bite me back when looking for a job when finishing up at nyu....but what the heck, life ain't fun without a little calculated risk! besides, its not like I will be lazing around that extra year.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:22 pm

You're overthinking it.

Just apply to 4 - 6 schools. Any more than that and you will dilute your efforts across too many schools, not to mention you will annoy your recommenders having to submit rec letters to so many schools (even if you coach them, they still have to do all the admin in setting up on online profile in which to submit the rec letter forms). You want to cover your bases without being driven by desperation. Again, your chances are greater if you focus on a smaller number of schools and focus on making sure those applications are exceptional rather than spreading yourself (and your recommenders) thin.

Just choose 1 reach/hail mary, 3 - 5 sweet spot schools, and 0-1 safety school (the schools you choose comes down to personal fit).

And if you don't get in, you can always reapply; there are enough reapplicants in the pool that it's not really a big deal nor will it hinder your chances.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com