If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
tj_mba

Please review my profile and crush me with your honesty

by tj_mba Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:18 pm

My background...

Undergrad GPA 3.1
4 years of work experience in marketing and commercial insurance.
GMAT 660(V39/Q42/AWA5.5)

Target schools: UCLA, USC, UC Irvine, UC San Diego.

With my current profile I know that UCLA is basically out of the question; however, I'd be thrilled with USC and pleased with UCI and UCSD. Do I stand a reasonable chance at my other three target school? Should I continue studying and try to move up into the 700s?

Thank you for your time and help, Tyler
MBAApply

by MBAApply Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 am

UCLA isn't out of the question with your current GMAT score. I think you should still be competitive.

Keep in mind that the middle 80% is around 660-760 for schools like UCLA, and 600-700 for USC, and probably sub600-high600s for Irvine and San Diego. So long as you're in that range, the GMAT won't be the primary concern. In other words, it's ideal to be close to the average, but it's not fatal if you're still within the middle 80%.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
tj_mba

by tj_mba Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. My concern is that in this competitive year, being "average" won't be enough to get in. I have an average GPA, an average resume, and a slightly above-average GMAT score. I'd like to wow admissions boards with something. Do you think it would be more beneficial to shift my focus to essays and letters of recommendation? I'll be applying during the 2nd round.

Again thank you for your help, Tyler
MBAApply

by MBAApply Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:15 pm

But above average GPA and GMAT won't immediately give you a huge leg up.

It comes down to everything -- and the essays and rec letters are what will make or break your chances. That's what you should be focusing on.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
tj_mba

by tj_mba Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:15 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your advice Alex. It is greatly appreciated!