If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
ii

Poor academic history ...

by ii Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi there ...

I am currently preparing my application for an Executive MBA programme at the top tier business schools in Europe (LBS, INSEAD, IMD, IESE).

Unfortunately my academic history is very below average, and I feel that this is certainly a big weak point in my application, which I need to address. Find below a short summary of my background and current situation:

- BSc Computer Science (3rd class degree - very poor, I know !) ... graduated in 1998.
- 10 years work experience, with a successful track record in managing and delivering global technology projects, as well as building and leading teams, working for the world’s largest corporations. Currently working in the Technology strategy space for one of the Oil majors.
- Career started off as Technology Consultant, moving into Technology Lead/Manager roles, and currently Technology Strategy & Architecture.
- Following on from being recognised as an "outstanding performer", I was selected onto an Emerging Leader programme within my company; a programme to fast track the development of high potentials within the company.
- I was also selected onto a leadership programme when working for my previous company, and was recognised as high potential.
- my company is fully sponsoring me for the Exec MBA ... both in terms of funding and time (this required senior level approval and support - sign off by the deputy CFO of the group)
- my work experience has been on an international/global scale ... working and leading various international projects, working within and leading diverse teams. Lived and worked in the following cities/countries: London, Paris, Barcelona, Lisbon, Ireland, Chicago, Houston, Toronto.
- my current role (and previous roles) have involved managing people, process and budgets. Currently working closely with the Technology executive team on a number of high profile initiatives within my company.
- an active mentor (part of my company's mentoring programme - providing advice/coaching to other colleagues)
- The Exec MBA is a key part of my Career Development Plan, which has been supported and endorsed by my senior management team.
- 10 years technology experience ... has enabled me to obtain a deep functional expertise ... the time is right for me to get some more breadth and general management experience/skills. Also my role is moving more and more into the strategy space, where I am required to work closely with business leaders within my company. So developing my business know-how and being able to understand the big picture when formulating a technology strategy to support the business, is a key objective for me. The other reasons for the MBA are to further develop my leadership/general management capability, and develop a different perspective/angle to solve problems. My aspiration is to lead a technology organisation (e.g. as Technology Director / Head of Technology / CIO).
- I have excellent references for my application, from very senior people (Technology Director, Global Head of HR). I also have a personal recommendation letter from a member of the business school's alumni supporting my application.
- Other activities: Golf, Boxing, Photography, Triathlon.
- Languages: English (fluent); Urdu (fluent); Spanish (Intermediate); French (Basic)

I am currently studying hard for my GMAT exam (which I plan to take in 2 weeks) ... I am hoping to get a good 650+ score, which will hopefully help me offset the poor academic performance.

I need to be able to explain my poor academic performance ... and intend to be very upfront and honest about it (instead of making excuses).
The main reason for my poor academic performance (over 10 years ago), was down to: 1) immaturity 2) lack of focus.
However, over the past 10 years I have achieved a lot of success in my work, and have matured significantly. I am ever-more focussed and ambitious to succeed in my career (as can be seen my track record, and recognition as a high performer within the companies I have worked for).

There is also a question on the application which gives me an opportunity to explain this poor performance:
"Do you feel that your academic performance to date gives an accurate indication of your potential for success ? (Max 50 words)"

Any tips/hints/ideas on how best approach this, and other parts of my application to counter my poor academic record ?

Much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:31 pm

Tell the truth. Don't spin.

If your career development is truly strong, you can admit that your academic history sucked. By trying to spin and sugar coat what happened in college, you'll only undermine the credibility of other aspects of your application. Being honest about your shortcomings can lend more credibility to your strengths.

In any case, just state the truth. You were young and undisciplined, but with your GMAT score, 10+ years of growing up, you're prepared (which is the truth, or it's what you sincerely believe anyhow).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com