SC312
Forum Guests

Poor score in GMATPrep 580 (Q -47 , V-24)

by SC312 Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 am

After all the practice that I did for the past few months, I was only able to score a meagre 580 (Q -47 , V- 24) in one of the GMAT Prep exam.

Quants has never been a problem since I have been scoring over 45 for most of the practice tests that I took (both MGMAT and GMATPrep).

But the verbal section has always been an area of concern, with scores usually ranging from 27 to 33 and once I scored a 36. RC is the weakest area. Most of the time when I scored poorly in Verbal, I found that my performance in RC was poor. Reading speed and comprehending the meaning of a passage or a CR is also a problem.

The current score(V-24) that I got in Verbal has really demoralised me.

Currently I own (have practiced them several times except for KAPLAN 800) the following books :-

1. KAPLAN GMAT
2. KAPLAN Verbal Guide
3. OG
4. OG Verbal Guide
5. Manhattan Sentence Correction
8. Kaplan 800

Please let me know if it is possible to improve my verbal score to 40 or atleast to 38, since I am targetting an overall score of 700+ .

I plan to take the test in another 2-3 months time based on my preparation in Verbal. Please suggest me ways how I can improve my verbal scores.

Thanks
Sudipto
malik.atif.saleem
Students

Re: Poor score in GMATPrep 580 (Q -47 , V-24)

by malik.atif.saleem Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:29 am

don't just study the books instead do work on your timing and do use strategies get MGMAT CR & RC also Powerscore CR Bible. Use some timer when attempting these questions and also use some error log to keep track of your errors and read some Journals & fictional books with the materials, which are thought-provoking as well as written with the smart use of English. Do study some hard topics in editorials or journals from WSJ (wall street journal), Nytimes, The economist, and businessweek fro example.

hope it helps!
nadkarni.sujay
Students

Re: Poor score in GMATPrep 580 (Q -47 , V-24)

by nadkarni.sujay Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Frankly speaking, RC was my worst area too. I was scared of it and to get over that fear I looked at more and more problems. It never helped. I would say grab manhattan reading comprehension guide. I used that and used the headine list tactic. I have been doing pretty well. I would also suggest, do one passage daily and try to understand your mistake. I used to get one correct answer out 5qs. I have come to an average of 3-4 correct answers in 3 weeks. They just dont say learn from your mistakes!