Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
MohamedM501
Students

Possessive form and pronouns

by MohamedM501 Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:12 am

Dear Experts,

I have stumbled in one of questions of SC in Manhattan guide.

During gladiator matches, the unfair match-up between a prisoner with a short sword and ten soldiers with horses and whips can drive the prisoner to a state of manic frenzy, like a rampaging bull whose rage increases when its hide is pierced with swords.

(A) like a rampaging bull whose rage increases when its hide is pierced with swords
(B) like the increased rage of a rampaging bull when its hide is pierced with swords
(C) like a rampaging bull that increases rage while rampaging with its hide pierced with swords
(D) just as a rampaging bull that increases rage by piercing its hide with swords
(E) just as a rampaging bull’s rage increases when it is pierced with swords

My Analysis:

For choices A, B & C, I would apply the general rule: 'Comma+ like' refers to the PRECEDING SUBJECT.

In A, like a rampaging bull seems to refer to the unfair match-up -- the preceding subject. It means that THE MATCH-UP is similar to A BULL.
Therefore, this comparison is illogical.
Eliminate A.

In B, like the increased rage seems to refer to the unfair match-up -- the preceding subject. It means that THE MATCH-UP is similar to THE RAGE.
Eliminate B.

In C, the sentence has same problem as A
Eliminate C.

In D, the meaning is wrong as it implies that the BULL is piercing its own hide with swords
Eliminate D.

Here, I'm left with only choice E but there is a problem. 'it' has no clear referent. The only logical meaning when 'it' refers to 'BULL'. However, as far as I learn, GMAT does not accept a pronoun to refer to a noun in possessive form.
Even if I consider that 'it' refers to preceding subject 'rage', the meaning would be nonsensical.

So how is choice E correct?

Thanks for help
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Possessive form and pronouns

by RonPurewal Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:50 am

MohamedM501, you must be using some VERY old prep materials.

the "rule" that you're using (about possessives and pronouns)...
...has NEVER been necessary to solve a GMAT SC problem -- literally, not ever;
and
...has not appeared in any GMAC materials in the last 10 years.

so, the best course of action regarding this "rule" is to forget about it entirely.