Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
sunny.nayyar

possible error in question!

by sunny.nayyar Sat May 09, 2009 7:51 pm

DF: Correct Answer is D, but misleading statement.

At a certain company, some of the employees have advanced degrees, some have one year or more of work experience, and some have both. If 20 percent of all employees have one year or more of experience and no advanced degree, what percentage of employees have advanced degrees and less than one year of experience?

(1) 35 percent of the employees do not have advanced degrees and 55 percent have less than one year of work experience.

(2) 15 percent of the employees do not have advanced degrees and one year or more of work experience, but 45 percent have one year or more of experience.

The explanation is correct but does not correspond to the statement.

Am I see this correct or is it something I am just missing?

-Sunny
RonPurewal
Students

Re: possible error in question!

by RonPurewal Sun May 10, 2009 4:00 am

sunny.nayyar Wrote:DF: Correct Answer is D, but misleading statement.

At a certain company, some of the employees have advanced degrees, some have one year or more of work experience, and some have both. If 20 percent of all employees have one year or more of experience and no advanced degree, what percentage of employees have advanced degrees and less than one year of experience?

(1) 35 percent of the employees do not have advanced degrees and 55 percent have less than one year of work experience.

(2) 15 percent of the employees do not have advanced degrees and one year or more of work experience, but 45 percent have one year or more of experience.

The explanation is correct but does not correspond to the statement.

Am I see this correct or is it something I am just missing?

-Sunny

--

hm, yes, this is problematic.

usually, if i say "does not have x AND y", this means "EITHER doesn't have x OR doesn't have y OR doesn't have either".

in any case, you are right: this wording is a bit disingenuous, and the question should thus be edited so that it's more user-friendly.

thanks.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: possible error in question!

by StaceyKoprince Fri May 15, 2009 12:04 pm

I changed the wording on the question in the database to make it more clear. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep