Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Mstal

Practice Test Scoring?

by Mstal Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:41 pm

I took the MGMAT Practice test the 1st time and got a 690. Then I took it a second time and also got a 690. I have a few questions:

1. What can I do to improve my scores?
2. How accurate are the scores on the practice exams?
3. Is it just me, or are the math questions harder than normal?

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Chris (MGMAT)

MGMAT Practice Test Scoring

by Chris (MGMAT) Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Thanks for your questions. In response to them:

1. It’s hard to know how to improve your scores without some more info. Are you in a course? What’s your id?

2. We exerted a tremendous amount of energy to simulate the real GMAT’s scoring algorithm, and continue to update using real-time info. We receive score reports from students and check on their last practice exam result. The statistical difference is + or - 20 points from their last practice exam result for the vast majority of students, but we do see deviations from that. Also, it is impossible to predict with certainty how you will do on test day, due to many variables (stress level being one of them). Unfortunately, there is no really perfect predictor of GMAT scores, including the GMAC GMAT Prep (we routinely see substantial differences between scores on this test and real scores).

3. Many people taking the MGMAT Practice Exams feel that the math questions are "too hard," particularly at higher levels. One of the reasons for this is that MGMAT Practice exams do not have any "experimental" questions, whereas the real GMAT does present 10 experimental questions of various difficulty levels interspersed throughout the math section. For this reason, you may struggle to manage time on the MGMAT math section, and have an easier time on the math section of the real GMAT.

Hope that this explanation is helpful. Chris Ryan