Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Prep SC question: Because of the Sun, which...

by RonPurewal Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:57 am

yes, that's a thing.

in terms of meaning,
"just as [sentence], so [sentence]"
and
"[sentence], so [sentence]"
have no relationship whatsoever. they're two completely different constructions, with two completely different meanings.
(therefore, "what i've told previously" is completely irrelevant here.)
jabgt
Students

by jabgt Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:16 am

RonPurewal Wrote: you can't write "same size as the moon's size", so, that version is incorrect no matter what.

I have as many books as my brother (correct)
I have as many books as my brother's books (incorrect)

again, though, there's no need to think this deeply—you can just notice that "sun" and "moon" are parallel, while "sun" and "moon's" are not parallel. that's all you have to notice.

Dear Ron Sir,

I still cannot understand why "the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's", simply because “Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain” is official answer from another Prep problem.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t5749.html
To me, both structures are analogous.
Could you help?

Thank you so much!
jabgt
Students

by jabgt Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:07 am

ChristineS804 Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote: you can't write "same size as the moon's size", so, that version is incorrect no matter what.

I have as many books as my brother (correct)
I have as many books as my brother's books (incorrect)

again, though, there's no need to think this deeply—you can just notice that "sun" and "moon" are parallel, while "sun" and "moon's" are not parallel. that's all you have to notice.

Dear Ron Sir,

I still cannot understand why "the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's", simply because “Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain” is official answer from another Prep problem.
To me, both structures are analogous.
Could you help?

Thank you so much!

Dear Ron Sir,

I see now that I cannot make the analogy the example "Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain” with the construction of "than" or " as...as".

I guess I mistakenly draw the lesson from the example "Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain” :" A have/has B = B of A", No. it's not. I can see this point now from the examples you have given to us and correct answer of OG16 #11"certain animals have less total fat than another animals" instead of "...than that of another animals".

I cannot tell why the example of "Laos" works, while the ones of "as...as"/"than" don't. I guess that's because the construction "something comparable to/with something " defines the objects of comparison can only be... nouns, leaving no ambiguity of meaning, while there is a greater flexibility of the constructions "as...as"/"than", leaving plenty of rooms to ambiguity of meaning.

I have already made several mistakes from my wrong lesson of "Laos has a land area comparable to that of Great Britain”, so I express a bit of my thoughts here, in case that anyone else shares the question with me.

Thank you, Ron Sir -- you have already explained parallelism/comparisons problems in such great detail, but sometimes people, like I, keep coming to ask new questions. I guess that I need to be more industrious to be exposed to good formal writings to get the sense, as you have pointed out in one post. Thank you, Sir!

Although it might be much too early to say so, I just don't want to miss the opportunity to wish you and your family a very happy holidays and all the best for the new year!

Best Regards,
Christine
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:59 am

this discussion has become irrelevant to the problem in this thread.
if you have questions about the laos/great britain problem, please post them in a thread about that problem.

here:

that thread ^^ has more than 100 posts, so, your question(s) is/are probably addressed in there already. please read through the entire thread (...or, at the very least, all of my posts in the thread) BEFORE posting.
thank you.