Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
Eddie Gutia
Students

prepositional phrase + independent: correct structure ?

by Eddie Gutia Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:46 pm

HI,

Below is a question from MGMAT SC chapter 5:

We finally choose the coffee table towards the back of the store, which we thought would complement our living room furniture.

Can i fix the issue in the sentence by rewriting it as shown below:

Towards the back of the store, we finally choose the coffee table, which we thought would complement our living room furniture.

Thanks,
Aditya
tim
Course Students

Re: prepositional phrase + independent: correct structure ?

by tim Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:55 pm

You fix that issue but introduce a new one. Can you find the new problem? :)

For this reason, I would caution you against ever asking "what if" questions about changing parts of verbal questions, because there are often several interconnected parts that cannot be fully accounted for by a single change. Just focus on why the right answer is right and why all the wrong answers are wrong.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
Eddie Gutia
Students

by Eddie Gutia Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:59 am

Towards the back of the store, we finally choose the coffee table, which we thought would complement our living room furniture.

Thanks Tim. You are correct. I think the new problem with the above sentence is that the phrase "Towards the back of the store" seems to qualify the pronoun "we". Correct?
tim
Course Students

by tim Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Exactly. Of course, there are a couple of other typographical errors, but you've figured out the main problem. Now here's the hard part: I challenge you to avoid trying to correct this sentence further AT ALL COSTS. It's tempting I know, but you have found the error, and that is what SC is all about. Your job is NOT to correct anything (despite the name), so don't try to. It will be a waste of your time. And I promise if you try to correct this sentence and ask us about it, we will refuse to answer on principle! :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html