Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Serg

Problems with verbal on the actual exam

by Serg Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi,

I have problems with GMAT, not with the whole exam only with its so called verbal part.

I took the exam three times so far and my results are as follows:
1. 650 (Q52, V26) / AWA 5
2. 580 (Q49, V20) / AWA 6
3. 610 (Q50, V23) / AWA 6

During my last preparation I practiced with GMATPrep software CAT1: 680 (Q49, V32), CAT2: 730 (Q49, V38) - similar results with Princeton, Kaplan and Manhattan CAT practice tests (my average verbal score from the practice tests is 37 - when I prepared for my 3-rd try). I always try to simulate the exam conditions with every practice test I do. My problem is that on the real exam I score worse than on the practice one. I do not know what is my problem with the verbal section on the real exam - I am quite confident on every answer from the verbal section (I do not guess and I spent on average 2 min. per question). What bothers me is what prevents me from having good verbal score - I target 35-40 on verbal score.

Any advice how to improve my verbal score on the real GMAT exam? I plan to take the exam only once more.

My TOEFL result is 100% so I do not assume that I have problems with English but honestly I have serious doubts what this GMAT verbal section is trying to test (beside 'How much money are you ready to spend playing a computer game called GMAT' as a friend of mine likes to say).

Regards,
-- Serg
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:25 pm

This is puzzling - you'll need to try to dig in a bit more to figure out what the difference is between your practice tests and the real thing. Do you feel any more time pressure at all on the real thing compared to practice tests? How is your stamina? How are your nerves? When you take practice tests, do you also do the esssays, just as fully as you do on the real test?

Basically, think about (and write down) ANY differences at all between the verbal portion of practice vs. real exams, even if you think they are very minor and / or you don't see how they could possibly matter. Then come back and tell us and we'll try to help you figure out what's going on!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep