Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

Proceeding without a definite plan for upcoming labor negoti

by MdAbuAsad Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:04 pm

Proceeding without a definite plan for upcoming labor negotiations, like the firm had agreed to last year, it would surely have proven to be a disaster in the face of the skilled and resolute opposition involved this time.

A. Proceeding without a definite plan for upcoming labor negotiations, like the firm had agreed to last year, it would surely have proven to be a disaster

B. Proceeding without a definite plan for upcoming labor negotiations, as the firm agreed last year to do, would surely have proven to be a disaster

C. Going ahead without the presence of a definite plan for upcoming labor negotiations, like the firm had agreed last year to do, would surely have proven disastrous

D. To proceed without the presence of a definite plan for upcoming labor negotiations, as the firm had agreed to last year, would surely have proven disastrous

E. Going ahead without their having a definite plan for upcoming labor negotiations, as they agreed to last year, it would surely have proven to be a disaster for the firm
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

Re: Proceeding without a definite plan for upcoming labor negoti

by MdAbuAsad Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:10 pm

Can you help me to fin the subject in choice D?
if the example is:
To drink without me blah blah blah would .....
^^ It seems that ''to drink'' is the subject but my brain still not convinced to announce ''to drink'' as a subject! If the sentence is something like below then it could make sense to me..
To drink something without me blah blah blah would .....
^^ In this example, ''to drink something'' could be the subject. Am I missing anything, here?
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Whit Garner
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Whit Garner Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:46 pm

Hi MdAbuAsad!

A lot of weird constructions can be the subject of a sentence (or the subject of any clause for that matter). Infinitives (to ___ constructions) are one possible construction. And it doesn't matter if the infinitive is followed directly by a prepositional phrase (p.p.), if there is an object of the infinitive before the p.p. (your preferred example), or if the infinitive stands alone.

Examples of Infinitives as subjects:
To swim in that water would be a big mistake. (followed directly by p.p.)
To buy a house in this market would take a miracle. (followed by the object "the house" before the p.p.)
To laugh would be rude. (the infinitive alone)

Another weird subject construction is a relative pronoun clause starting with "that." See the Official Guide question about "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan...".

I hope this helps!
:)
Whit
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:20 pm

Whit Garner Wrote:Hi MdAbuAsad!

A lot of weird constructions can be the subject of a sentence (or the subject of any clause for that matter). Infinitives (to ___ constructions) are one possible construction. And it doesn't matter if the infinitive is followed directly by a prepositional phrase (p.p.), if there is an object of the infinitive before the p.p. (your preferred example), or if the infinitive stands alone.

Examples of Infinitives as subjects:
To swim in that water would be a big mistake. (followed directly by p.p.)
To buy a house in this market would take a miracle. (followed by the object "the house" before the p.p.)
To laugh would be rude. (the infinitive alone)

Another weird subject construction is a relative pronoun clause starting with "that." See the Official Guide question about "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan...".

I hope this helps!
:)
Whit

yes, it helps me. Thanks a lot...
Whit Garner
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Whit Garner Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:08 pm

Excellent! Happy to help :)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw