If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
MichalM28
Students

Profile Eval (750 GMAT)

by MichalM28 Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Was wondering what your view on my profile is, what schools I should think of as my "normal" bucket and how realistic getting into HBS may be. Details below:

GMAT: 750 (Should I retake?)
GPA: 3.77, from midwestern big 10 school.
Majors: Econ (Honors, Math Emphasis), French; Math minor
Work: 2 years IB at large bank, 2 years PE at upper middle market firm
Extracurriculars: Junior board of large non-profit, led to establish scholarship fund for my old high school
White Male, if relevant

Happy to provide any additional details!

At the same time, I was wondering if schools such as HBS have a cap of students they take per undergrad school, i.e. if I would be competing with my old classmates if we apply in the same year.

Thanks!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Eval (750 GMAT)

by mbamissionjenK Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for your post. So at first glance you have a lot of the solid ingredients necessary for admission to a top school (strong GMAT, GPA, work experience, some community involvement though not sure how recent or frequent that is). As long as your GMAT quant was strong, I would not imagine you'd need to re-take the GMAT. I don't know as much about specific accomplishments at work or outside of work, and any other life stories you may share in your applications, but things look positive so far. Sometimes it just comes down to the competition and standing out from a very crowded 'crowd', when the other elements and stats look good..... feel free to submit a resume for more in-depth review at any point, at www.mbamission.com/consult, as we do offer free 30 min consultations. Additionally when we work with clients, we do an initial in-depth brainstorming process at first that helps identify what your unique stories and key elements are that you'll share in the application process, and often at that point we'll have an even better feel for how you might stack up against typical competition, and can help you bring out the best elements of your profile after that discussion. Re: your q on school quotas, no not exactly... certainly they wouldn't want to FILL their class from any one undergrad :) but it's not super set in terms of exact #'s..... very broadly you'll compete against people most like you, such as other PE/IB white males with strong GMAT etc... so life stories and community involvement and amazing recommendations can really help!
Good luck in any case and let us know if we can help further!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
MichalM28
Students

by MichalM28 Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:15 am

For Quantitative, I got 49, while for Verbal I received 42, for a total score of 750. What's your view on the quant score?

Also for whatever it's worth (and based on my understanding, it's not much), I got an 8 on the IR and 6 on AWA.

Thank you!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:02 pm

49 Quant is considered strong these days; 77th percentile usually right.... nice job, and no I wouldn't think there'd be a reason to re-take... I mean unless you told me you'd done a lot better on many practice tests and were itching to try again! ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php