If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
DaveC0288
Course Students

Profile Eval

by DaveC0288 Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:54 pm

Hello,
Posting my profile here for an evaluation.

B.Tech in Electronics with CGPA 3.67
      M.S. from NC State in Computer Engineering with CGPA 3.83
        6 years work experience as a software engineer (currently employed).
          Appeared for GRE for MS admissions in 2009.
            Currently enrolled with Manhattan prep online for GMAT.
              Intend to take the GMAT mid/end of July this year, and apply for the 1st/2nd admission rounds for September-November.
                Interested in top 20 (as per US News/Forbes/Economist) B schools for FT programs. (open to part-time as well, but not preferred).

1) Given my past experience with GRE (over 10 yrs back) still debating a bit whether I should switch to GRE given that almost all schools now accept and weigh GRE scores equivalently to GMAT scores. Any inputs/advice on this?

2) I do not have any noteworthy social work/ extra-curricular experience in my past and I do not hold a managerial post at my current work. Given the timelines, what steps can I take to enhance my profile on this front?

3) In general, what aspects of my current profile ,if any, can hold me at a disadvantage? Likewise, what are the aspects that can help me stand out?
                mbamissionjenK
                ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Eval

by mbamissionjenK Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi there,
                Thanks for your post. So it seems that, besides the fact that you are already signed up for (started??) GMAT prep, the GRE COULD be a viable option for you, and if you check out average GRE scores at MBA programs, they are often a touch lower than the equivalent GMAT scores... I would suggest taking a free online practice test of both NOW and compare how you feel and how your starting scores are, and go from there. If needed after that point feel free to reach out here or via www.mbamission.com/consult for a free 30 minute consultation to discuss. Top 20 could be a touch challenging, with better chances towards the bottom of that top 20... competition is just so steep nowadays! Your grades are respectable and the masters shows you would handle the academics of the MBA fine. As you mentioned you don't feel your community or EC activities are very strong so that is a negative... you could see if there is anything you could get involved in NOW to at least have something for your resume, though it's debatable how much impact that makes at this point. Otherwise it's touch to know more about how you could stand out without knowing more about you and your story, but generally what we do with clients is a thorough brainstorming with them about their professional and personal lives to identify what has shaped them and what drives them and can often identify some memorable stories or attributes at that point.... anyway feel free to keep in touch and good luck!
                Jennifer Kedrowski
                mbaMission
                www.mbamission.com
                jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php