If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!

Profile evaluation. Apply now to Dartmouth / Columbia?

by Guest Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi,

I started the b-school application process late this year but want to start school in Fall 2008. Stats are:
Asian Female. 24 y.o. 670 GMAT (38 / 84% V, 44 / 72% M, 4.0 / 26% AWA), 3.75 GPA from top 5 liberal arts college (graduated early), 3.5 yrs WE (started in ibanking and now work in real estate development/investment), so-so extracurriculars (leadership position in student gov't in college, not much more after college)

Should I bother working hard on the Dartmouth and Columbia apps to get them in before the final deadlines in April?

I feel like my strengths are my undergrad performance (lots of quant classes and A's in them, which should offset the GMAT score), not-so-common industry of real estate rather than applying from an ibank, and my weaknesses are my GMAT and lack of extracurricular achievement after college. I'm not sure if being female (esp. female in RE) helps.

I already got in a top 15 school for part-time and have another top 10 school part-time app decision pending, but would prefer to go full time and Dartmouth/Columbia are ranked higher. But i'm so late in the game....

Please provide feedback regarding my chances if I apply now to Dartmouth/Columbia. Would you advise retaking the GMAT and applying for Fall 2009, or just go with the part-time program I already got in. Thanks!
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:29 pm

In short, you're really playing the roulette wheel.

If you were applying in Rounds 1 or 2 (or Columbia ED), I'd say you'd be competitive assuming you put in a strong written application and you interview well.

However, with the last round, you have to be prepared for the fact that there's only so many spots remaining after the majority of the class has been decided through the prior round admits.

In any case from a practical perspective, you really have no choice (other than to not bother at all) -- if you really want to go, you might as well give it a shot.

Also, keep in mind that Fall 2009 admission (i.e. if you apply this upcoming year) will be even more competitive. Think Bear Stearns, and all the rumored impending layoffs at unnamed banks across Wall Street. Lots of nervous folks working at funds. And if the job market continues to worsen through the summer, expect a flood of applicants this fall and into the winter.

So either way, it's going to be competitive now for the last round, and also for Fall 2009. There is no real disadvantage of reapplying, other than the additional time and application fees spent on a reapplication.

Good luck

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com