If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
SankarV766
Students

Profile evaluation for Berkeley Haas Part Time MBA program

by SankarV766 Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:25 pm

Hello
I am looking for a profile evaluation, I just finished applying to Berkeley Haas (round 1) for the part tima (EWMBA) program starting Fall 2019. The only other program I am looking at is the Wharton School Executive MBA program in San Francisco, will be applying there for round 2 later in Jan 2019.

Demographics and work exp:
31 year old Indian male, Biochemical engineer with 6.5 years experience in Biotech R&D engineering.
Work Exp:
Worked in 2 startups and 1 mid sized company in Biotech R&D in Boston and SF Bay area. 3 promotions overall.
Significant R&D experience in genetic engineering of microorganisms to produce specialty sustainable chemicals and Biofuels.
1 published patent (2014), 1 provisional patent application (2018)
Team Leader for couple of projects involving collaborations with international companies to launch and advance R&D platforms
Doing side projects with the business team to develop skills in financial modeling, product development, writing business plans.

Test Scores:
1 attempt GMAT July 2018: Total 710. Quant 48 (67%), Verbal 40 (90%) IR 7 (83%) AWA 5.0 (53%)

Education:
Bachelors in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, University of Kerala, India (Ranked within top 50 universities in India). CGPA 7.3/10 graduated with First Class. Equivalent to 3.4-3.7 GPA depending on what conversion scale or reference points you use.
Master of Science in Chemical and Biological Engineering SUNY University at Buffalo. GPA 3.4/4.0
1 publication in Applied Environmental Microbiology as part of research in Masters thesis

B school goals:
Want to switch careers into Business/product development in Industrial Biotech. I have significant R&D experience and understand the advantages and limitations of sustainable/clean biotech and have noticed challenges in commercialization plans and process economics. I want to address challenges involving finding novel applications for sustainable products that widen market value, involve feasible R&D goals and generate meaningful return on investment.
Immediate/short term goal: Finish B school, learn fundamental concepts of financial modeling, business development and switch careers into this field.
Long term: Evolve into a strategic corporate development executive in Biotech leveraging R&D experience and adding business development to this mix to bring challenging technical products to market.

I have a good setup at my current company where I have the space and support to facilitate a career switch into the business group. They may also financially support the MBA- these details are being hashed out currently. In my industry, most business development professionals have some level of scientific background (either in school or some work exp). This being a niche industry, a mix of science/R&D experience and business development would be a key factor in successful career growth.

Extra curricular/leadership:
- 3 years volunteering experience as a mentor at a national level non-profit organization (Minds Matter) to help low-income high school students apply to colleges. First generation in their families attempting for college education. Organize fund raisers and volunteer recruitment information sessions, conduct interviews etc.
- Event organization for inter-department cultural festival at University of Kerala for 2000+ attendee event, Fund raising and event management
- Member of College cricket team in University of Kerala

Overall Summary:
Indian male R&D engineer with R&D experience looking to switch into business development to address some key challenges that the industry faces. Decent test scores and GPA in academics. Good work experience and career growth with very specific goals. Have support from my company for the MBA. Letters of rec and essays are fairly strong.
Drawbacks:
Didnt go to top ranked schools, decently ranked but not the cream of the crop. Extra curricular and leadership is ok, but not a lot of it. Goals may seem a little confusing or convoluted, career switching may be difficult through a part time/executive program although schools advertise differently.

Please let me know what you think of my profile for both Berkeley Haas part time program and Wharton Exec MBA (SF)
mbaMissionNishaT
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile evaluation for Berkeley Haas Part Time MBA program

by mbaMissionNishaT Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi, and thanks for writing! You have progressive work experience, solid academics, and good extracurricular involvement. This, as well as the support you'll likely receive from your company, make you a viable candidate for the Haas PT program. If you frame your desired functional switch as internal to the company (or perhaps a bit longer-term) that would make sense for the PT program.

The Wharton Executive MBA is generally for those with more work experience (10+ years) who aren't making a significant career switch but rather, are on track to move up in their current industry/function/company, and typically are sponsored by their current organization as they've been identified as a future leader/executive. Thus, a functional switch would be more challenging to communicate to this program. So overall, I recommend focusing on Haas for now.

Regarding your academics, I wouldn't necessarily worry about not having gone to one of the top programs, as you have a strong GPA. If you want to boost your competitiveness further given that you're applying from a heavily represented demographic, you might consider taking GMAT again for 730+.

I hope this helps a bit! I've worked successfully with a number of Haas candidates, so if you'd like to discuss your profile with me further you can sign up for a free consultation here: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/?dis ... admissions

SankarV766 Wrote:Hello
I am looking for a profile evaluation, I just finished applying to Berkeley Haas (round 1) for the part tima (EWMBA) program starting Fall 2019. The only other program I am looking at is the Wharton School Executive MBA program in San Francisco, will be applying there for round 2 later in Jan 2019.

Demographics and work exp:
31 year old Indian male, Biochemical engineer with 6.5 years experience in Biotech R&D engineering.
Work Exp:
Worked in 2 startups and 1 mid sized company in Biotech R&D in Boston and SF Bay area. 3 promotions overall.
Significant R&D experience in genetic engineering of microorganisms to produce specialty sustainable chemicals and Biofuels.
1 published patent (2014), 1 provisional patent application (2018)
Team Leader for couple of projects involving collaborations with international companies to launch and advance R&D platforms
Doing side projects with the business team to develop skills in financial modeling, product development, writing business plans.

Test Scores:
1 attempt GMAT July 2018: Total 710. Quant 48 (67%), Verbal 40 (90%) IR 7 (83%) AWA 5.0 (53%)

Education:
Bachelors in Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering, University of Kerala, India (Ranked within top 50 universities in India). CGPA 7.3/10 graduated with First Class. Equivalent to 3.4-3.7 GPA depending on what conversion scale or reference points you use.
Master of Science in Chemical and Biological Engineering SUNY University at Buffalo. GPA 3.4/4.0
1 publication in Applied Environmental Microbiology as part of research in Masters thesis

B school goals:
Want to switch careers into Business/product development in Industrial Biotech. I have significant R&D experience and understand the advantages and limitations of sustainable/clean biotech and have noticed challenges in commercialization plans and process economics. I want to address challenges involving finding novel applications for sustainable products that widen market value, involve feasible R&D goals and generate meaningful return on investment.
Immediate/short term goal: Finish B school, learn fundamental concepts of financial modeling, business development and switch careers into this field.
Long term: Evolve into a strategic corporate development executive in Biotech leveraging R&D experience and adding business development to this mix to bring challenging technical products to market.

I have a good setup at my current company where I have the space and support to facilitate a career switch into the business group. They may also financially support the MBA- these details are being hashed out currently. In my industry, most business development professionals have some level of scientific background (either in school or some work exp). This being a niche industry, a mix of science/R&D experience and business development would be a key factor in successful career growth.

Extra curricular/leadership:
- 3 years volunteering experience as a mentor at a national level non-profit organization (Minds Matter) to help low-income high school students apply to colleges. First generation in their families attempting for college education. Organize fund raisers and volunteer recruitment information sessions, conduct interviews etc.
- Event organization for inter-department cultural festival at University of Kerala for 2000+ attendee event, Fund raising and event management
- Member of College cricket team in University of Kerala

Overall Summary:
Indian male R&D engineer with R&D experience looking to switch into business development to address some key challenges that the industry faces. Decent test scores and GPA in academics. Good work experience and career growth with very specific goals. Have support from my company for the MBA. Letters of rec and essays are fairly strong.
Drawbacks:
Didnt go to top ranked schools, decently ranked but not the cream of the crop. Extra curricular and leadership is ok, but not a lot of it. Goals may seem a little confusing or convoluted, career switching may be difficult through a part time/executive program although schools advertise differently.

Please let me know what you think of my profile for both Berkeley Haas part time program and Wharton Exec MBA (SF)
lawrencer99
Forum Guests

Re: Profile evaluation for Berkeley Haas Part Time MBA program

by lawrencer99 Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:24 am

Everyone wants to travel and experience futuristic planet, and with Star wars jacket you will definitely feel part of a modern world. The store is always confirming to provide and cater the need of a movie lover, with all of the magnificent masterpieces in the collection.