If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
tripathi.gmat
Students

Profile evaluation forfall 2016

by tripathi.gmat Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:16 am

Hi,
Request you to do a profile evaluation for fall 2016.
I am an Indian male, age 26 years, working in leading automotive OEM in India.
1. GMAT: 680 (AWA 5; IR 7; Q 50; V 31)

2. Work experience:
6 years and 8 months (as on March’16). This includes 2 years international work
experience in global automotive OEM in Japan.

3. Major roles and responsibilities:
a. Worked on design and development of various new and minor models.
b. Detailed understanding Product Life-cycle Management, Design Process management and Weight/Cost reduction at design stage.
c. Have worked closely with global suppliers in Japan and India during the design and development of various models.
d. Part of 150 engineers who went to Japan to work in a global model in close coordination with Japanese counterparts.
e. For past 6 months, in a leadership role, leading a team of 4 engineers.
f. Responsible for major localization and cost reduction projects, resulting cost saving in crores in INR.
g. Other responsibilities include vendor up gradation, employees’ skill improvement and non-projects coordination.

4. Extra-curricular:
a. Actively participate in company’s CSR activities. Activities are majorly focused on education of underprivileged children and to create awareness about sanitation among rural people.
b. Leading the development of e-learning module for company’s employees along with an outsourced firm.
c. Cleared Japanese language proficiency test level N5. I will be appearing for N3 in Aug’15.

5. Educational background:

B.Tech (Electrical Eng): CGPA 7.2/10 from a reputed state university.
Class 12th (CBSE): 80%
Class 10th (CBSE): 78.8%

6. Languages: English, Hindi and Japanese

7. Post MBA goals:
My long term goal is to start up a company in the service sector.
With my work experience and Technical Education background, I have developed the knowledge set required for such a venture. However, I am looking at following aspect to be covered by attending B-School:
1. Present and past student network and prospective business partner
2. School name and the creditability with that to start new venture
3. Skill set to manage the business and required exposure
4. Peer learning and diverse thinking.
If this doesn’t happen in immediate future (Post MBA) then I would like to join a Management Consultancy firm or a corporate position in Strategy and Planning vertical, which in long term would help me in setting up my firm.

8. Targeted schools:
I am not aware of the schools that will be in line with my long term goal and match with my profile, though I am targeting USA and European schools in top 30.
Requesting experts to share their views on school selection, what all schools have fair and high chances of admission?
Also, what are my chances in NUS, HKUST and Nanyang.?
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile evaluation forfall 2016

by mbamissionjenK Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:19 pm

As posted on another board...

Thanks for posting. So on one hand, there are a LOT of engineering applicants to b-school, so it can be tough to stand out from that crowd, and also it's important to try and showcase skills beyond just technical, analytical, and project management skills... think people skills... leadership...teamwork... etc. Good to keep in mind. You do have some team lead experience so that is a plus, as is your international experience.

With your current GMAT score and the info you've shared here, I'd probably look outside the top 15 or so US schools (see US News rankings for example). NUS and Nanyang may be a bit of a reach right now; chances at HKUST may be a bit more reasonable.
Since you have the time, I'd consider re-taking the GMAT, as schools take the highest score, and you'd increase your chances by doing so, something to consider.

For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: http://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

I'll also simultaneously applaud you for your long term entrepreneurial ambitions and the thought you've put into it so far.... and also advise you to consider another short-term goal, as it can be challenging to start a business directly out of b-school without prior entrepreneurial experience. But keep doing that research over the coming year or so!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php