If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
nikhil.jones.s
Students

Profile Evaluation ISB/NUS/INSEAD

by nikhil.jones.s Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 am

Hi,

I am looking forward to apply to ISB/NUS/INSEAD for the term starting 2016 or 2017. Kindly evaluate my profile:

GMAT: 730 Q49 V41 IR3 AWA5.5
B.Tech Computer Science, BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus - CGPA 6.3
XIIth CBSE - 89%
Xth CBSE - 94%

Professional Experience:
14 Months in EMC Consulting, worked on providing platform services for customers who bought EMC big data suite.
Also worked on 2 public sector health care projects - was awarded the prestigious Gold Award from a task force of 5000 employees in India.
Also freelanced as a BI consultant for Indian Health Action Trust - created a inputs-outcomes model based dashboard to help them monitor their PHCs and SCs. This work attained acclamation from their parent company - BMGF care and is now being implemented across other districts and states. Worked closely with their Strategic and Planning team. Also provided training to them on using and building the dashboards.
Worked on providing PAAS to a telecom in Brazil, a POC which was bought in by the client into a project.

4 months and continuing in Accenture, Capability Network/Consulting.
Currently working as a Systems Integration Analyst to build a value added platform for the client to enhance their capability of real time monitoring. Got the opportunity to work on site (Manchester, UK) and have been making frequent 3 week long trips since January. - (Could I also sell this a performance acknowledgement/badge?) Work revolves around solutioning the platform and creating the right business value through cost calculations, visualisations etc. Have also been involved with important conversation regarding time estimation and resource allocation etc.

Extra Curricular Activities:
I'm an avid football player and participate in various tournaments in Bangalore. Recently we came runners up in the BITS Alumni tournament and also 3rd in the intra emc tournament. I have also represented the EMC football team in a number of tournaments.

Achievements:
Awarded the prestigious Gold Award from a task force of 5000 employees in EMC India. (Mentioned above)
Selected for International Student Exchange program to Japan on behalf of CBSE - was a part of the 60 member team that was selected from India.
Was the school head boy in XII
Captained the university football team in various regional and national tournaments
Was the head coordinator for department of sponsorship and marketing, Fest organizing body - we scaled a regional fest to a successful national fest - lot of good work done here

Regards,
Nikhil
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation ISB/NUS/INSEAD

by mbamissionjenK Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 am

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for your post. So it sounds like your GMAT is solid; grades could be higher (?); you have some recognition professionally; some international experience; and an interest in football. Not sure I've followed your cumulative full-time work experience trajectory, might be easier to view in resume form (side note feel free to sign up for a free consultation with us which includes a resume submission, at any point if interested, at http://shop.mbamission.com/pages/free-consultation).

Overall you'll be competing with other applicants who are most similar to you, and you will likely be part of a large and competitive applicant pool.... your schools could be a slight reach, especially INSEAD. Overall your aim will be to stand out, be remembered, and showcase what you'll bring to the program and how you'll contribute to the class. You'll also want to make a strong case for why you need the MBA, exactly what you'll do with it, and why that school is right for you. These factors can sometimes move the needle somewhat.

It sounds at the moment as though you haven't been in any one role for very long, so another option could be to gain another full year of experience and then apply; it's possible your resume would be stronger at that point.

Good luck no matter what you decide!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php