If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
BenR101
Students

Profile Evaluation Please? 690 GMAT, 3.2 GPA

by BenR101 Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:40 am

Hello!

Looking to get a quick read on my application profile... I'm an American male living and working in China for 6 years. I have work experience in automotive advertising, marketing, and entrepreneurship with good examples of leadership and project management. I'm applying for an MBA so that I can make a career switch to marketing in the tech sector (still keeping the marketing/project management focus). Have a 690 (Q45 V40 IR6) GMAT and 3.2 GPA from a US state university (liberal arts degree) and am apply to Tuck, Kellogg MMM, Haas, and INSEAD for January deadlines. I think the international work experience makes me stand out but am worried that the sub-700 GMAT and low quant will hold me back. Should I reconsider my choices?

Thanks for your advice!
-B
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation Please? 690 GMAT, 3.2 GPA

by mbaMissionKate Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:24 am

Hello!
I agree that your international exposure will help you stand out. Sounds like your work experience is strong too! And I also like that your post-MBA goals are related to your current experience. For those schools you list, your GPA will be below average, and so will your GMAT. But I would not rule out those schools, because I think you have a lot of strengths too. It's just hard to say how much that will hurt you without seeing your full application since these decisions are made very holistically. I think it depends on the school too...for instance, I've heard that INSEAD really wants to see at least a 70 or 75 percentile score on both Quant and Verbal, and they've asked some applicants with scores below 700 to retake the test before being admitted. Haas is another school too where I have the impression that they like to see high Quant scores. But then again, since your career goals are tech / marketing, not I-banking or something heavily quantitative, then your score may be just fine. I think Tuck and Kellogg are both great schools for you and I feel better about your chances there. If you want to be on the safe side in case the GMAT / GPA does become an issue then you could add another school to your list too, something like Duke perhaps? If you'd like to chat further about strategies / options, feel free to email me back or sign up for a free consult at http://www.mbamission.com/consult/.
Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php