If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
SamiR184
Students

Profile evaluation please.

by SamiR184 Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:11 pm

Female, Indian, 28 years old, Nurse (by qualification)

GMAT-700
Last edited by SamiR184 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile evaluation please.

by mbaMissionKate Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi there, thanks for sharing your profile.

As you probably know, nursing is not the most common field of study for MBAs but it is certainly something to differentiate you and it sounds like you did quite well so that's great. Assuming your extracurriculars are current, then those sound strong too.

How much full-time work experience do you have? You listed quite a few positions so I'm not sure. The average at most top programs is 4-5 years so keep that in mind. Also, a lot of job changes can be concerning so make sure you can tell a clear story for why you made those moves.

The odds at the schools you mention are really tough -- schools like Harvard and Stanford only accept 11% or 7% of the applicant pool. And their average GMATs are in the 720s and 730s now, so while a 700 is a solid score, it's not going to help you stand out. Aside from Rotman, the schools you list are all quite competitive. Personally, I advise having a wider range with some safer schools...perhaps where your 700 puts you well above the median. But the programs you list all have strength in healthcare so that angle will be good to play up in your application.

Good luck, and keep us posted if we can help!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
SamiR184
Students

by SamiR184 Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Dear Kate,

Thank you very much for your valuable reply. Could you please suggest me some safer schools that suits my profile?

Thanks again
Sami
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:03 pm

Sure- I'm happy to give you a list to get you started, but you should do some more research to see where you might fit best and decide what factors are most important to you. A few that come to mind for strength in healthcare: Duke (I think already on your list), Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Arizona State, Boston University. Some others you might want to consider: Cornell, UNC, Georgetown. Schools in that range will provide some balance to some of the tougher programs.

Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
SamiR184
Students

by SamiR184 Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your suggestions. I will defenitely do more research on the schools you suggested.

Thanks again,
Sami
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:30 pm

Good luck with your research!!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com