If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
perfcon
Forum Guests

Profile Evaluation Request: 680 GMAT (39V and 44Q)

by perfcon Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi,

I took the GMAT on Jan 2, 2014 and scored a 680 (44Q and 39V). On the GMATPrep exams, I have been scoring between 710 and 720 consistently. I purchased the 2 additional exams from GMATPrep and scored 710 on one, and 680 on the other.

A bit disappointed, as it is not up to the 700 mark, but I am considering applying with this score.

GMAT: 680 (44Q[66%]/39V[88%]) 85% overall (4th Attempt. Previous attempts ended up with 680/640/640)

Nationality: Indian; female; raised and educated in Middle East
Total Yrs of Exp:
-4yrs (1.5 YRS U.S. / 2.5 Yrs Canada) in Financial Capital Markets Technology at two top 5 investment banks. As per http://www.careers-in-finance.com/ibtop.htm
-Recruited into Technology Leadership Program at investment bank after graduating from university.
Career Progressions: 25% Salary Hike and 30% Bonus after 1st year of working; Double promotion from Analyst to AVP when the move from one bank to the other happened.
Management Experience: Mentored co-op students from top engineering school in Canada, in my current role.
Key Contributions:
- Delivered quality software solutions under tight deadlines, which were used by traders globally, in Germany, Shanghai, U.S, and Europe. Quality excellence awards for the same.
- Active Member of organization's global talent management strategy team.

Education:
CGA Level 1 Designation
Bachelor's (Electrical Engineering) from Top 5 Engineering undergrad in the U.S as per http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate
2.24/4.0 overall -> Lower than my ability, as I was diagnosed with major depression in first year, but chose to remain at school to have normalcy. Took help from university counselors. GPA in final semester was 2.9/4.0. Also took up leadership roles in several organizations.
School - 10th 88% / 12th 82%

Extracurricular:
Speak English, Hindi, and my mother tongue fluently. Conversational French, Basic Arabic due to upbringing in middle east.
AIESEC: Business leadership organization; Corporate recruitment team.
Habitat for Humanity, Homelessness Awareness - Marketing Lead in university.
International Student Leadership Award - from university; represented university as speaker at American Youth Foundation.
Corporate Women in Engineering award - outstanding essay about the female engineer I most admire. Attended conference and lunch with women mentors as prize.
Engineers Without Borders VP Role - Involved in overall strategy of organization

Community Service:
-Engineers Without Borders VP - Team Leader; managed team of 20 volunteers; Raised $30000 and recruited 200 runners for a poverty run. Organized over 100 middle school science workshops at libraries in Toronto area.
-Spent weekends tutoring Bhutanese resettled refugee friends in English. Got jobs within 6 months of arriving in the U.S.

Post MBA Goals:
Long Term: Found and run non-profit focused on technology innovation in South-East Asia.
Short Term: Strategy and operations management at established non-profit that leverages technology innovation, in any country. Open to moving globally.

Could you kindly evaluate my profile? I would like to apply to Fuqua, Kellogg and Darden for the social entrepreneurship focus. Any help/advice would be truly appreciated.

Regards.
acedgm@
Forum Guests

Re: Profile Evaluation Request: 680 GMAT (39V and 44Q)

by acedgm@ Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi,

Could you kindly still take a look? Would you like me to provide a cliffnotes version?

Thanks!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi there,

Hmmm, that is strange, I remember replying to this post and your profile, but can't seem to find it.... had a look at other boards too in case it was multi-posted but can't fine it; there was one other time a post on this board somehow was deleted so who knows!

In any case, apologies for that if you hadn't seen a response. Let's get down to your eval...

Your strengths as I see it are: exposure to capital markets in addition to technology; leadership recognition/experience; great international experience; promotions/progression; mentoring students experience; community/volunteering experiences. And schools are certainly looking for well-qualified female applicants.

The biggest weakness is certainly the GPA, and that is a challenging one to overcome at that level. A higher GMAT can help, and the 680 is respectable, though the quant percentile is on the weak side. If there was any opportunity to take some additional coursework NOW to demonstrate your academic and quant ability, that would benefit you.

Kellogg is certainly going to be a reach program. Fuqua and Darden will also be challenging due to the GPA in particular, but perhaps more reachable with an outstanding application. You may want to add a school or two outside the top 15 or so... perhaps Babson or BU; Ross; or UNC Kenan-Flagler; Hough....

Let us know what further q's you have, and best of luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Mavs
Students

by Mavs Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Hey Perfcon, I am somewhat in a similar situation (scores, work exp). Wanted to know how did it go for you.