If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
VikramK585
Prospective Students

Profile Evaluation Request

by VikramK585 Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:38 am

Hello,

I am a 25 year old male from India. I gave my GMAT exam a few days back & got a low score of 620. Since most of the application deadlines are in Jan & since I cannot write my GMAT for atleast a month, I want to apply to colleges that best fit my profile. So can you please suggest the best program for my profile.

10th Grade (CBSE) - 70% aggregate
12th Grade (Pre University) - 84% aggregate
Engineering - Mechanical Enginnering - 8.45 CGPA

Right out of college, I joined Toyota Kirliskar Motor in the Design & Development Department & was handling all project activities related to new launches in the SUV/Pickup/MUV segment. During my 3 years in Toyota, i had a lot of international exposure which will help me. The exposure to the automotive industry also helps me a lot since my Father has his own business of Automotive parts manufacturing. Currently, i am working with him & trying to implement the things I learnt at Toyota. I feel I need an MBA in Operations management which will teach me more about how to standardize & streamline operations at the company. I also did 2 internships at L&T Komatsu & Mico Bosch which again gave me some exposure of how different industries work.

I will highlight the upward trend of score I got during my 10th, 12th & engineering (continuously improving). I also volunteer at an NGO called bosco that helps rehabilitate children whenever i get the time.

I was hoping to get a score above 650 which would have increased my chances of a better school, but could you please suggest a few colleges which you think I can apply to?

Thank you
Vikram
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation Request

by mbaMissionKate Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:28 pm

Hello!
Well, first of all, they recently changed the GMAT rules so you can now retest in 16 days - so that's worth checking into!
Your GPA seems strong (by the way US schools don't look at pre-university grades), and your work experience seems very strong, I especially like that you've worked at a global brand Toyota and the involvement in your family business.
One option to consider is accelerated one-year programs. They typically work well for people working in family business because you don't require an internship. They also tend to be less competitive in terms of GMAT. For instance, USC, Emory, and Notre Dame all have them, though I'm not sure if those offer Operations concentrations.
Otherwise, take a look at the average GMAT scores and find programs where your score is close to the median -- for strength in operations, perhaps check out Purdue, Michigan State, or Arizona State? I am sure there are others, these are just a few that come to mind.
Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
VikramK585
Prospective Students

by VikramK585 Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:38 am

Thank you for your advice Kate. I am checking all the possible schools to which I can apply to with this score. Perdue seems like a good choice for Operations management & for my score as well. But I would also like to apply to schools like Kelley, ESADE, Rotterdam & Rotman which all seem to have good Operations Management Program. Since my GMAT score is not too good, I understand that my essays need to be really good for these schools. What do you think my chances are with these schools considering my profile??

Thank you
Vikram
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi there, it's really hard to say, because we don't know where your GMAT will end up, and how strong your story, essays, and recommendations will be. But I think you've got a shot at those schools you list, just make sure you have a backup option too just in case. Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php