If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
ArnabD585
Forum Guests

Profile Evaluation

by ArnabD585 Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:56 am

GMAT:
Overall – 710 | Quant – 49 | Verbal – 38 | AWA – 4 | IR – 6

Academic:
a. 10th – 84.6%
b. 12th – 78.33%
c. Graduation – 70.8%(Computer Science & Engineering)

Work Experience:

3 years 6 months(by the end of March 2016) in Infosys Limited

Roles:

a. Facilitator, educator and trainer for the Learning & Development(L&D) team in behavioral and communication skills domain.
b. Gather requirements from delivery units or global batches, customize programs according to the needs and deliver them (Simply put, in the role of a Behavioral Consultant without having that title).
c. Manager for all the training batches(total strength of 10,000) for L&D.
d. Preside over Club Elate(a forum dedicated to improve behavioral and communication skills for the trainees) which is an L&D initiative to nurture leadership amongst the new recruits.
e. Design and modify content for various training programs.
f. Design and modify assessment for the batches.

Workplace Achievements:
a. Got selected for a merit based training in Infosys and completed the training with a cgpa of 4.71/5.
b. Trained over 20000 trainees over 200 training sessions with an average feedback of 4.4/5.
c. Started working with global clients directly at a very early stage of career.
d. Doubled the number of participants and improved the overall quality of operations after taking the control of Club Elate.
e. In the role of consultant for my team(gathering requirements, tailoring programs and delivering them) have received laudable feedback from the clients.

Extra-Curricular:
a. Co-Founder, President and English Teaching volunteer of a city(Mysore) for a national level NGO Make a Difference(Empowers children at risk by engaging the youth in conducting various interventions to create a compelling future for the kids).
b. VP-Public Relations for Toastmasters Club at Infosys, Mysore(Toastmasters International is a fraternity aimed at enabling people to become better leaders and communicators).
c. 3 Startups in last 1 year:
1. An institute for behavioral and communication skills. Not exactly a venture but just explored an idea and a business opportunity. Got stuck at legal issues.
2. A tee shirt venture. Worked the most on this one. Got stuck at pre-launch because couldn’t work out an agreement with a key stakeholder.
3. Participated in a startup competition with a raw idea. Made it to the second round. Not beyond that.
d. Counselor for people with emotional distress. I did undergo a training.
e. Have been the Master of Ceremony for two big events at workplace:
1. One Infy Run – It was witnessed by 1000+ spectators
2. Stargazing Development-Centre-wide talk – Customized a talk on astronomy and delivered it.
f. Swimmer at club level for more than two years. Can swim all the styles.
g. Martial Arts enthusiast. I can talk about it and give a demo but I’m stuck at the primary belt. 
*I am most likely going to be the President of the Infosys Toastmasters, Mysore club before I fill in my application form.

Achievements:
a. Led a team of 30+ volunteers and 5 vertical heads in conducting two projects and stabilizing the chapter for more than a year in the role of the President and Co-Founder in Make a Difference.
b. Received Competent Communicator award by Toastmasters International.
c. Trained all the other Public Relations fellows from other clubs in the city for Toastmasters International.
d. Conducted a club level competition which was witness by around 400 people(This number is a record in the history of the club since its incubation which happened 5 years back).
e. Certificate of Merit awarded for the essay on ‘The Most Important Milestone in 20th Century Physics’. It was a national level competition. I came 6th in the Eastern Zone. I wrote on Black Holes, Worm Holes and White Holes.

Hobbies:
a. I am an amateur illusionist. I can show some mind blogging tricks which can trigger the reaction – ‘What the hell just happened’.
b. Making abstract art and designs on paper or in form of body art. I have created over 600 designs.
c. Studying astronomy.

Goal Post MBA or Why MBA?

I want to become an entrepreneur by building an enterprise and creating something substantial for the society.

Additional Story:

I have overcome a very big personal challenge. I have grown up an environment where I was constantly ridiculed for my physical appearance by my family members and friends. It had a devastating effect on my confidence at a very early stage of my life. It effected my performance at studies and inhibited my social interaction. I became a social recluse. Going to a public place terrified me. When I joined Infosys, it was the first time I was out of my city and living alone. This experience put me to a position where I either have to change myself or risk my survival as a human being. With introspection and dedicated mental training I took conscious actions to transform myself. The roles I identify myself with at workplace and outside wouldn’t have been possible without that transformation.

Colleges that I’m targeting:

ISB
MIT
Kellogg
Duke
Tepper
NYU-Stern
HBS
Stanford
LBS
Wharton
INSEAD
Columbia Business School

I have already applied to ISB. I had my interview 2 days back. Waiting for the results.

I would like to know what chances do I have with other colleges that I’m targeting.
Also, can you suggest any other colleges within top 40 of FT rankings at which I’ll have a good chance?
Finally, do you suggest that I should appear for GMAT and improve my score? Will it give me an edge for the colleges that I’m targeting?

Please accept my heartfelt gratitude in advance for your invaluable assistance.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbamissionjenK Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:53 am

Hi there,

Thanks for posting, and sharing so much of your story about your professional and personal life and challenges overcome. This kind of candor and introspection will be appreciated on b-school apps, fyi.

Your GMAT is respectable, and you have a LOT of interesting experiences to share, in terms of professional and extracurricular experiences and accomplishments. In fact one of your challenges may just be to focus in on the experiences that meant the most to you and that really shape your story, vs including ALL of that ... sometimes quality is more important than quantity. I'm not entirely clear I'm understanding your current role and whether it's engineering based or not at all, fyi.

You have quite a long list of schools there!! Keep in mind most apply to closer to 3-6 schools, and each app is quite time consuming as you may have realized. I think it will be tough for you to get into a top 5 or top 8 or so school... just the nature of how competitive it is etc. So better chances outside of that.

If you would like to chat more with a consultant keep in mind we have a free 30 minute consult option if interested, at www.mbamission.com/consult. And/or feel free to chat here. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
ArnabD585
Forum Guests

by ArnabD585 Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:44 am

Hello Jennifer,

I shall definitely opt for the consultation link that you posted. Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your effort to look and to comment on my profile. My primary role, what I mentioned in the first point, is that of a facilitator, an educator and a trainer in the behavioral and communication domain. The organization is IT Consulting firm but my domain is Training in Behavioral and Communication skills. Can you suggest 5 colleges from top 25 where I would have a good chance?
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:26 am

If pressed, I suppose some schools I'd most look at for you without knowing as much about your personal prefs in a school might include Tepper, Duke, UCLA, Kenan Flagler, maybe McCombs, Kelley, Goizeta....

But def do your research as the schools can be quite different, and you want to see where you are a good fit and what will best help you career-wise of course. ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php