If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
TW03
Forum Guests

Profile Evaluation

by TW03 Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:03 pm

I'd really appreciate you taking the time to evaluate my profile.

- 710 GMAT. Considering retake as I have done 46q, 48v on a GMATprep
- 2.9 GPA
- BA in Political Science with minor in Economics from Baylor University. Spurned the Naval Academy and Ivy League and walked on at Baylor. Eventually became a 3 year starter and Team Captain as a senior. Regrettably, this achievement came at the cost of a better GPA. Scored a 43 on the Wonderlic test prior to NFL draft, among the highest scores annually recorded. Earned a scholarship and finished career ranked in the all-time top 10 statistically for my position group at Baylor.
- Work Experience: 3 years playing professional football in the NFL and CFL, overcame potential career-ending back surgery in year 1. Last two years spent as a member of the United States Bobsled team, competed in the Sochi Olympic Trials. Currently working in business development at midstream oil and gas company that has been included in the Inc. 500 the past two years.
- Extracurricular Activity: Team representative for Baylor at the Big 12 Media Summit. Coached and trained a member of the 2014-2015 USA Bobsled National team, certified as a CSCS, the credential of choice for professional and collegiate strength coaches (in getting to where I did with football I developed an extensive knowledge of kinesiology, physiology and biomechanics). Volunteer work with local charity that provides physical training to young men recovering from substance abuse issues. Leader of couples Bible study at church. Married with 9 month old baby.
- Career goal: Get into oil and gas consulting, find a way to build a better mouse trap in that field.
- 28 year old male, white, born and raised in Texas

Target Schools:
- Harvard
- Stanford
- Columbia
- Kellogg
- Tuck
- Booth
-1 or 2 out of (Johnson, Darden, Fuqua)
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbamissionjenK Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello,

Thanks for posting. Certainly a less-common applicant profile ;) which helps in that it gets you noticed and remembered; and could potentially mean you'd have an interesting perspective to share within the classroom. The challenge would be to ensure your story makes it is clear and that you are certain that the MBA is the right path for you; that you know what you are getting into; have a career plan in mind; and on another note, that you still developed skills such as leadership & teamwork through your professional sports experience. It does help that you've been working in business development most recently.

Now, the GPA is a huge challenge to try to overcome... even with some explanation; it is going to be quite tough to gain acceptance at a top-5-ish school with that GPA. My feeling is that your best chances are going to be schools outside the top 15 or so; but you could aim for those in roughly 10-20 for your main options with a few reach schools inside top 10 if you'd like. Just keeping it realistic!

I assume you are applying now (?) but if next year taking some courses relevant to b-school and getting A's would help as well. And you could do one more GMAT shot, yes, especially if you think you could do better.

Good luck on the process, I hope it works out well, keep us posted on how else we can help!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php