If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
lql2
Course Students

Profile Evaluation

by lql2 Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi there,

I'm shooting for the following schools: Kellogg, Columbia, Harvard, and Stanford. I'm also trying to decide if it's worth paying for a private GMAT tutor to get that GMAT score up given my circumstances.

GMAT: 670 Total - Quant 44, Verbal 38, IR 6, AWA 5.5 (670 was the 1st attempt - retook second time and scored 590 which is a bit discouraging to say the least - figured tutor may be able to help me break 700 since I've already taken a MGMAT full course - worth the money?)

GPA: Undergrad - 3.45 from Ivy League school, major was in business

Demographic: Asian American female, grew up in midwest

Age: Will be 26 when applying (planning for matriculation in Fall of 2016)

Work Experience: Will have 4 years by application due date, 5 years before matriculation in Fall 2016
- Current: Vendor Manager at Amazon, promoted within 15 months - normal promotion cycle occurs between 18 - 24 months (1.5 years).
- Past: Marketing Analyst at American Express (2 years)

Extracurricular: Undergrad Admissions Alumni Interviewer, Undergrad Alumni Board (VP at Large for local chapter), nationally recognized mentoring program (Director of Mentee Recruitement for local chapter)

Recommendations: Strong recommendation from past manager, good recommendation from president of mentoring program, solid recommendation from current manager, good recommendation from vendor partner

Post MBA Goal: Entrepreneurship in e-commerce or marketing strategy to improve the consumer shopping experience. Also interested in combining the former with the travel industry.

Thanks so much!
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbamissionjenK Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:03 pm

HI there,

I like many facets of your profile from what I can see, professionally and in terms of extra curriculars and your goals etc... but the GMAT is the biggest weakness thus far... yes I would suggest investing in a tutor.... a tutor can literally watch what you are doing by sitting with you, and suggest ways to improve, and bumping that up a lot would really help your profile. You're looking at some very competitive schools!! If it helped you bump up the score, and get into a better school, and potentially have a higher salary etc, it would be a worthwhile investment, just one way to look at it. ;) Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php