If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
liu1993918
Students

Profile Evaluation

by liu1993918 Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:38 am

Hi, instructors.
I am going to apply for MS in Business Analytics in US.
Would appreciate if you can help with my profile evaluation.
Any constructive feedback are welcomed! :D
Here is my profile:

-Demographic: Chinese Male

-GMAT 740 (Q51, V39, AWA 5, IR 8, 4th attempt)

-TOEFL 99

-Bachelor of Economics in Economics from HuaQiao University

-GPA 84.65/100

-Internship Experience:
*was a secretary in Investment Bank Department of Great Wall Securities for 2 months
*was a Account Manager Assistant in China CITIC Bank for 2 months
*was a Audit Assistant in BDO International for 1 months

-Extra-curricular Experience:
*was a Section Chief in Securities Association of HuaQiao University for 2 years.

-Short-term goal: be a data scientist in financial service company in U.S for 3 to 5 years.

-Long-term goal: come back to China and be a leader in a business analytics team.

Stretch school: University of Minnesota; William&Mary

Target school: Worcester Polytechnic Institute; Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Stevens Institute of Technology

Safety School: University of Connecticut.

BTW.
WM said "This program is currently eligible for J-1 sponsorship and we anticipate approval to sponsor F-1 status for this program in Spring 2016. Once approval is received, applications for international students with F-1 visas can be reviewed."
Do you think it is unwise to apply for this school?
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbaMissionKate Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for sharing your profile with us. First of all, it sounds like the MS in Business Analytics is a really good fit for you...because it's designed for early career applicants who have some quantitative background, and it also fits really well with your career goals.

Your GMAT and GPA are both great, and should be strong indicators of your academic abilities, especially on the quantitative side since you majored in economics. Do you have any computer programming experience, or did you take any computer science classes? I know that is preferred by many of these programs. I also like that you have some internship experience, and hopefully can demonstrate some understanding of business fundamentals through your exposure to banking and audit.

So I think overall you have a very competitive profile...only caution is just that these tend to be pretty small programs, and it's a competitive applicant pool applying from China, so I think you're smart to apply to a few different schools to increase your chances.

I really am not sure how much I can help with the visa question...I think the difference comes down to how your plan to finance your degree, but I can't be certain. Perhaps check with the admissions office, or see if they have any information online from the financial aid office.

Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php