If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
MoisesG423
Course Students

Profile Evaluation

by MoisesG423 Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi all,

I would like your assistance in evaluating my profile for MBA programs.

Undergrad GPA 3.27 from University of Houston

Have not taken the GMAT, but from my practice tests It looks like I will probably be in the 660-680 range. Although I will try and push for 700( I will have time to retake once or twice if I don't score 700 my first attempt.)

I'm currently 26 years old, but will be 27 when I aim to matriculate next year.

I will have 3.5 years of work experience at the time of enrollment. Current work experience includes analyzing credit/risk of current and prospective customers in the Energy industry.

Extracurricular activities include high school and some college baseball, and one student organization during undergrad(though not a leadership position)

volunteer experience is very minimal, but I will be embarking on a week long volunteer mission this summer.

I'm Hispanic and will be applying through the Consortium for the listed member schools below

target schools are Berkeley(Haas), UCLA(Anderson), Texas(Mccombs), Yale, Dartmouth(Tuck), NYU(Stern),

Non Consortium School - Rice

What are my chances given that I score between a 660-680 as opposed to scoring a 700? Would it make a significant difference? Would I have a fairly decent shot for schools ranked in the top 20? I apologize if I left anything out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbaMissionKate Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi there!
Thanks for sharing your info with us. Good luck with your GMAT prep! That is great you have time to retake if needed...I always recommend that as a buffer, just in case it doesn't go great on your first attempt since schools always accept your highest score.

Your GPA is pretty good, not above average though so having a strong GMAT will be important. I think the difference between a 660 and 700 is pretty significant because most of the schools you are considering have average GMATs in the 715-720 range.

Your extracurriculars do seem a little light but hopefully you can make up for that with strong work accomplishments, leadership potential, and a compelling personal story. Since you are applying through the Consortium, hopefully you can demonstrate a track record of activism and involvement in diversity initiatives or promoting inclusion. And if so, then perhaps some of that "counts" as extracurriculars.

Lastly, you don't mention anything about your post-MBA career goals, that will be an important part of how schools evaluate your application.

Assuming the GMAT is strong, yes, I think you have a good shot at top 20 programs. Try to apply early, perhaps even taking advantage of the early application option at Tuck. Tuck, Haas, and Yale I think will be the toughest for you. But the others provide a nice balance of competitiveness and Rice should be pretty safe for you if you get a 660+ on the GMAT.

Good luck, and keep us posted if we can help with anything else!
Kate
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
SadeO522
Course Students

Re: Profile Evaluation

by SadeO522 Tue May 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Moises, would you be interested in joining a study group? If so, email me at sade.onadiji@gmail.com