If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
JoshyL934
Forum Guests

Profile Evaluation

by JoshyL934 Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:15 am

Hi I had recently given GMAT with scores Total 590( V29, Q42, AWA 5.5, IR 4) . Nationality Indian, Age 30. Graduate - BSC Nautical Science -81% fromIGNOU, GPA - 4.0.
Working as chief officer / mate in Merchent navy, work experience- 9 years part time.
Professional Qualified and licences by Govt of India to be master of any ship irrespective of size. Member of Nautical Institute and Company of master Mariners of India.

I intend to apply for mba with Berkeley Haas / Wharton / Booth. Do I have a chance with present GMAT score?? If not with present score, what schools & programmes under top 50 ranks holds best chance of admission.
What GMAT score should I attempt to have a chance at an admission to any of the Ivy League / Top 15 mba programmes. I have community service as well as innovative solutions experience, that can’t be discussed here.
Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.
mbaMissionMichael
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbaMissionMichael Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi and thanks for your post.
Admissions committees take a holistic approach to evaluating candidates, and certainly consider work experience and extracurriculars to be important, just as they do with a GMAT score.
That being said, the average GMAT score for the 3 schools you listed is closer to 720 (and even higher for your demographic). Have you taken the GMAT more than once? If not, I recommend taking it 3-4 times total, as schools only look at your highest score so you have nothing to lose. There is no one score that will get you in somewhere but the better you do, of course the better your chances are. The GRE is another option for someone not getting the GMAT score they were hoping for.

I do suggest you looking at schools in the top 50 with average GMAT scores closer to your score. No matter where you apply, you will still have to prove in your application that you have the quantitative ability to succeed in the classroom, by highlighting your quant/analytical experiences on your resume and through your recommendation letters.

Good luck!
Michael Guttman, Senior Consultant
http://www.mbaMission.com
Michael@mbaMission.com
Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php