If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
kjh23

by kjh23 Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:06 pm

I'm planning to apply to MBA school for Fall 09 or 10. I currently work for a Management Consulting firm as an administrative coordinator. I absolutely LOVE the company and plan to stay there for the rest of my career, but would like to get an MBA for advancement opportunities. I would like to work as a consultant, but need SPSS experience with an MS/MBA degree preferred. I'm only considering part-time programs in the New York area, because I want to continue to work while pursuing an advanced degree.

Female
23 yrs old
US Citizen
BS in Bus and Mktg Ed from Univ. of Minn
2.81 Undergrad GPA, very inconsistent transcript with As in most classes some semesters, and retaking courses/dropping out of courses other semesters--mainly due to attempting to take too many courses and working too much
B in Calc 1, A- in Calc 2, and A in Business Statistics
C in Finance, C in Acct 1, and A in Acct 2
Shooting for a 750+ on the GMAT

In addition to trying for a very high GMAT score, should I also take some continuing ed courses to prove that I can get all As? if so, which ones? I haven't seen many advanced course offerings, and am afraid that if I take a more general course that it will feel too easy, as well as look too easy and not even help my chances.

If I do get a 750+ on the GMAT this summer, should I go ahead and apply to the NYU Langone PT program, or would it be better to take those courses and apply for 2010?

Thanks!
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:13 pm

If you're ready to apply in Fall '09, then by all means go for it then rather than waiting yet another year. Worst case is you get rejected, and have the chance to reapply the following year.

As for courses, you don't need to take super advanced courses. Just take 2-3 courses (no need for any more than that) in calculus, stats, accounting, finance, algebra, or economics - could be 100- or 200-level courses. Doesn't matter. You just want to show some recent evidence that your academic abilities won't be an issue in b-school (because your low undergrad GPA wasn't able to show that).

Aside from that, do as well as you can on the GMAT, and then focus on putting together a strong application for Langone. That's about all you can do.

Good luck

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com