Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
yo4561
Course Students

Proportionality?

by yo4561 Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:08 pm

In the All the Quant Companion guide, there is a section on direct proportionality and inverse proportionality. From the explanation, it always seems that you will be either setting up a direct proportionality equation as (y1/x1)=(y2/x2) or inverse proportionality as (y1)(x1)=(y2)(x2). Is my understanding correct that these are the only two formulas you will need (I understand that you can express them in other ways, but would I be good to go if these are the ones in my toolkit)?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Proportionality?

by esledge Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 pm

Your expressions are somewhat incomplete without a word explanation to accompany it. For example, (y1/x1)=(y2/x2) means that "y is directly proportional to x" and (y1)(x1)=(y2)(x2) means that "y is inversely proportional to x." (as opposed to x1 being proportional to x2, for example)

I personally like to memorize y = kx for direct and y = k/x for indirect proportionality between y and x, as they are cleaner and there's no need to juggle subscripts. This k also helps make the connection to the idea of the "unknown multiplier" in the Ratio part of All the Quant.

But yes, that's all you need for proportions!
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT