Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
shobuj40

Prospecting for gold during the California

by shobuj40 Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:06 am

Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and ancient, gold bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shovel.

A. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and ancient, gold bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for.

B. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface , and putting gold literally within reach of.
C. owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface , and putting gold literally within reach of.
D. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for
E. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and ancient, gold bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity and put gold literally within reach of.

pls explain the answer

and erosion , prehistoric glacier movement and volcanic activity this three things put the gold within reach of people not anocient , gold bearing riverbeds.

OA is E why not c
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by JonathanSchneider Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:35 pm

C has a parallelism issue. But I'm not sure that you've copied this problem down correctly. Can you please check over it again? There seem to be a few words and/or commas missing.
shobuj40

Prospecting for gold

by shobuj40 Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:25 pm

Here is the correct version of the question: (it is a GMATPrep question)

Prospecting for gold during the California gold rush was relatively easy task, because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and ancient, gold bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for anybody with a pan or shovel.

A. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and ancient, gold bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach for.

B. because of erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface , and putting gold literally within reach of.
C. owing to erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and volcanic activity that had thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface , and putting gold literally within reach of.
D. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and volcanic activity that thrust ancient, gold bearing riverbeds to the surface, putting gold literally within reach for
E. since erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and ancient, gold bearing riverbeds thrust to the surface by volcanic activity put gold literally within reach of.

I have full respect to GMAT writer but answer choice E is not 100% (rocket science correct) rather it seems that it is the best of the 5

because here all the three cause are not in parallel: erosion, prehistoric glacier movement and volcanic activity

pls dont abuse me for my comment but your comment is tottaly appreciated

Thanks
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Prospecting for gold during the California

by JonathanSchneider Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:48 pm

It's an interesting point, Shobuj40, but the GMAT considers these three nouns parallel, mostly because they are: 1) structurally the same - they're all nouns after all; and 2) logically similar. Now, the three nouns in the list are actually: "erosion ... movement, and ... riverbeds." The last of these two are modified somewhat to show how they could help to bring gold to the surface. While this might break the "look" of parallelism, the structural and logical parallelism is still here.
cesar.rodriguez.blanco
Course Students

by cesar.rodriguez.blanco Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:07 pm

Can any instructor explain the differences between D and E?
I chose D, so I missed something really important!!
Moreover, could you explain the errors in the other choices?
vrajesh.dave
Course Students

by vrajesh.dave Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:06 pm

IMO -- found that in D the last word was reach for

explain -- Sam reached for a pencil on the desk -- conveys action
-- Pencil is within the reach of Sam. -- convey position/location

Again, I used the above logic to rule out A & D.

B - just did not look right.
C - parallel construction errors

What do instructors think?
sgoedar2

by sgoedar2 Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:00 pm

Putting vs. Put; Put is correct, because the clause is in the past tense (thrust).