The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
pfh

Put your helmets on...incoming bomb.

by pfh Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:02 am

**disclaimer- I have a few drinks in me...part of the "healing process"

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I first want to thank everyone on this forum for all their insight and assistance, I found your advice invaluable. So, yes, I just bombed the GMAT, but I would like to give you a little background before getting to that .

I am a relatively smart young man, looking to enter a top 10 program in 2009. My application is extremely strong, but I need a minimum of 680 on the GMAT to be a contender. I am not a quant star. I so admire all the poster's on this forum to whom quant comes natural...but I am not one of them.

I began my GMAT prep focused and determined. I gave myself over two months, while most of my counterparts seemed to only afford a few weeks to prepare. I relied mostly on OG11 and the GMAT math bible from GMAT Hacks. I studied roughly 3 hours every weeknight and 5 hours every weekend for the final month.

My GMAT practice tests were averaging in the mid 600's. I can post each score (took it 5 times) if it would be helpful in advising me...just let me know. My final practice, the day before the test, I scored a 680.

The night before, and morning of the test I was cool, calm, and collected. I was confident in my preparation and ready to nail it. So lets talk about the test

I had never taken the time to include the AWA's in my practice tests. Come the morning of the test, I found that when I was writing essays for an hour before the quant section, it was unfamiliar to me and made me uneasy. The quant section began with a very difficult, unfamiliar question. It was all down hill from there...panic stuck with me and I rushed through many of the questions. After completing the section I knew that I had not down well. Nonetheless, I decided to take the 10 minute break to calm down and collect myself. I then attacked the verbal section with my familiar confidence and determination and felt that I finished strong.

Long story short, here are my results: Quant- 29 (25th percentile), Verbal- 44 (97th percentile)...score of 590. Getting the score was a shot right to the groin. Those was the lowest marks that I had ever received on Quant, and the highest I had ever received for Verbal. Sure, nerves clearly got the best of me...but 29??? Ouch.

My concern is this: I now have one month to regather my thoughts and tackle this test again. I cannot afford another setback like this one, and would like any opinions/advice on where to go from here. I refuse to write this score off to nerves alone. I should have done better, and no excuse changes that.

I suppose I am (selfishly) looking for a little encouragement and a few suggestions for improving. I know that bringing a 590 to a 700 is possible, but I would so much appreciate any guidance that anyone would be willing to give. I am really down and having trouble jump starting myself and getting "back on the horse". So thats it...comment away

-pfh
:)

by Guest Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Dang, that math score is rough but your verbal score is awesome. I'm sorry to hear that you got nailed on the math. My suggestion is to go through all of the OG math problems and do 'em all again. Understand exactly why you got them wrong and kill it on your next shot
mdinerstein
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mdinerstein Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi pfh,

I would say that you need some serious help solidifying your basic quant skills before you schedule another exam. ManhattanGMAT has two Foundations of Math classes that are designed to help you out with just that.

Foundations of Math I - July 15, 2008
Foundations of Math II - July 22, 2008
Full Free Event Schedule

Keep in mind that the two Foundations classes are two separate, self-contained classes of the same program. Hence, you can take one without the other depending on the area of math you are weakest in. However, at the 25th percentile, I would recommend looking into taking both because of the comprehensive math review both classes offer and the large number of practice questions each attendee receives for homework.

If you decide not to take the class, then I would recommend looking into taking a basic math course or buying a math review book that will go over Algebra and Geometry to start off with. After that, you will need to find a way to apply these concepts to the GMAT.

Good luck. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best,

Michael Dinerstein
Marketing and Student Services
michael@manhattangmat.com
212-721-7400
800-576-4628
pfh

by pfh Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:40 pm

thanks everyone for your help! i am happy to report that i retook the test today, and walked away with a 710!! I am more than satisfied with my improvement. Thanks a ton to all who gave advice and insight.

-ph
ash

how did u increase your store?

by ash Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:43 am

hey ph!

What did you do differently to go from 590 to 710?

Thanks