Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
rnd

quant challenge questions level

by rnd Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:25 am

Hi,
What is the range of the difficulty levels of the OG + Qaunt Review challenge questions from the strategy guide? 600 - 700?
700 - 800? :?
Thanks!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:14 am

I'm not sure, actually! I'll ask our curriculum director to reply.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
christiancryan
Course Students

by christiancryan Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:00 am

We can't assign an exact number, of course. To assign problems to the Challenge Sets, there are essentially three principles we used:
1) Do we think it's hard?
2) Does the GMAT think it's hard?
3) Do we have a balance of topics?

The answer to question 1 is subjective, but born of our experience. The answer to question 2 is transparent: the OG books list the problems in order of difficulty -- a characteristic that the GMAT folks measure easily, in their position as test administrators. So, higher number = more difficult from the GMAT's point of view. But they don't say "this is a 670 problem," as you know. Question 3 comes in to ensure that someone doing a Challenge Set gets broad exposure to the topics.

So, where does that leave us? If I had to draw a rough line, I'd put it at 600 and say that the Challenge Problems are mostly at or above that level.

Hope that's helpful!
rnd

quant challenge questions level

by rnd Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:31 am

Yes, this answer is quite useful because it helps when you know what difficulty level is best to focus on when you are studying.
Thanks! :)