Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
guble1234
Students

query on subgroup modifiers

by guble1234 Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:56 am

Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.
Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.
Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME only recently discovered.

Notice that only the which construction has a working verb {were} in it.
can someone pls explain why the working verb is required only with 'which'
dmitryknowsbest
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: query on subgroup modifiers

by dmitryknowsbest Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:12 pm

It's actually the 2nd and 3rd examples that are exceptions. I might say "I bought new clothes, some for work, some for school." However, this is just a shorthand way of saying "some of which were for work, and some of which were for school." When we say "some of which" or "some of whom," we are modifying the pronoun "some," which must then be followed by a verb.

Consider these examples:

I went camping with my cousins, three of whom were very old.

I passed several police officers, none of whom noticed my large bags of money.

The inspector took photographs of the mansion, half of which had been destroyed by fire.

Note that we could *almost* break each of these into two sentences, like this:

I went camping with my cousins. Three were very old.
I passed several police officers. None noticed my large bags of money.
The inspector took photographs of the mansion. Half had been destroyed by fire.

However, in the second sentence in each example, we have an ambiguous subject. (Three of what?) We can't start a sentence with "Three of whom" or "Half of which," so we tack the second sentence onto the first as a dependent clause.
Dmitry Farber
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
rte.sushil
Students

by rte.sushil Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:32 am

Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.
Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM only recently discovered.
Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME only recently discovered

1.) Why not Example no. 2 and 3 are as below:-

Example 2: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM WERE only recently discovered.
Example 3: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME WERE only recently discovered.

Why were is not present because these particles were not discovered by themselves but someone discovered.

2.) What if we split into different sentences:-
Example 2: This model explains all known subatomic particles. SOME OF THEM WERE only recently discovered.
Example 3: This model explains all known subatomic particles. SOME WERE only recently discovered.
Will these 2 above versions correct? I think should be because model is singular and some can't be model.
But i doubt particles are used as "object" in sentence. and Some(next sentence) used as an subject.
Please throw some light on this.

3.) Example 2 and Example 3 are of active form:
What if the sentences are in passive state:
All subatomic particles are explained by this model, some of which were only recently discovered. I think sentence is wrong because some of which/some of them/some should explain object not subject of the same sentences.AM i right?

4.)
All subatomic particles,some of which were only recently discovered, are explained by this model.
All subatomic particles,some of them only recently discovered, are explained by this model.
--> these sentences should be correct , Am i right?
All subatomic particles,some of them were only recently discovered, are explained by this model.--> this is wrong?

Waiting for answers. Your answers will give me enough clarity to learn subgroup modifiers.
thanks a lot!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:26 am

rte.sushil Wrote:1.) Why not Example no. 2 and 3 are as below:-

Example 2: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF THEM WERE only recently discovered.
Example 3: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME WERE only recently discovered.

both of these are run-on sentences (complete sentence + comma + complete sentence). not allowed.

2.) What if we split into different sentences:-

don't bother with this; it's irrelevant to the gmat.
gmat sentence correction problems are always single sentences; they are never "split".

All subatomic particles are explained by this model, some of which were only recently discovered. I think sentence is wrong because some of which/some of them/some should explain object not subject of the same sentences.AM i right?

"some of which..." should describe the noun that's next to it.
in this instance, that noun is "model", which doesn't make sense.

4.)
All subatomic particles,some of which were only recently discovered, are explained by this model.
All subatomic particles,some of them only recently discovered, are explained by this model.
--> these sentences should be correct , Am i right?

ya, these would be ok. they're sort of weird (almost inevitable when you're trying to "edit" the sentences), but they aren't wrong.

All subatomic particles,some of them were only recently discovered, are explained by this model.--> this is wrong?

yes, that's wrong, because you're trying to use a complete sentence ("some of them were only recently discovered") as a modifier.

Waiting for answers. Your answers will give me enough clarity to learn subgroup modifiers.
thanks a lot!

I know it's probably not your intention, but "Waiting for answers" comes off as very rude and impatient -- especially because it's already obvious: you've posted a bunch of questions on a forum, so of course you're "waiting for answers"!
This stuff matters. If you ever write something like that in business correspondence, you'll probably lose a client. Just FYI.
jennychiu.q
Prospective Students

by jennychiu.q Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:47 am

Right:This model explains all known subatomic particles, some of which were only recently discovered.

Wrong:This model explains all known subatomic particles, of which some were only recently discovered.

RON~~~I am confused why the second sentence is wrong. If i meet such a sentence in the test, i will consider that the sentence is right. thank you for answering my question.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 am

jennychiu.q Wrote:Right:This model explains all known subatomic particles, some of which were only recently discovered.

Wrong:This model explains all known subatomic particles, of which some were only recently discovered.

RON~~~I am confused why the second sentence is wrong. If i meet such a sentence in the test, i will consider that the sentence is right. thank you for answering my question.

Both of those look fine to me.
"Of which some..." is somewhat weird, but it's not wrong. GMAC won't test this difference, since it's essentially a non-difference.