Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Query relating to Mex Growth - RC

by jnelson0612 Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:46 pm

thapliyalabhi Wrote:
chenxil Wrote:Sorry to dig up another old thread, but just wanted to clarify again between B and D.

Neither are specifically mentioned in the passage, so I'm not exactly sure why we can infer that B is more likely than D. Yes, we don't know the motivation of the employers, but we do not know that they are employing the workers below the minimum-wage either. If the workers are willing to work at lower costs, it seems to be that it is very likely that the companies are hoping to reduce their costs by hiring these immigrants. Please clarify!

I too have the same doubt. Immigrants are willing to work for illegally low wages, and employers are employing them does not mean that employers are employing them for illegally low wages. If we are assuming that employers will employ the immigrants for illegally low wages, then can't we assume that these employers employ immigrants to lower their cost and increase profits.

Please clarify.

Nope, be careful!!!!! Your goal here is to draw a logical inference. An inference is not an assumption; an inference is something that logically MUST be true based on information stated in the passage.

In this case, we can logically infer that some employers are employing some of these workers and paying them illegally low wages. That is definite based on the passage. Please look at my post above in which I highlight the part of the passage this inference is based on. We are not assuming anything by drawing this inference. Using logic and reason, it is supported by the passage.

We ARE making assumptions if we try to say WHY the employers are doing this. Maybe, just maybe, the employers are trying to help the immigrants. The employers don't have the money to pay the U.S. minimum wage, so they pay the immigrants less than the minimum wage. They reason that the people are better off earning low wages here rather than nothing in their home country.

You may say that this is not likely to be why employers are doing this. I agree. But it is possible. This may be another explanation for why the employers pay below minimum wage. Thus, I CANNOT infer from this passage the motivations of the employers. You don't want to make assumptions with an inference question. Just go with what logically MUST be true based on the stated facts.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
RazeenJ957
Students

Re: Query relating to Mex Growth - RC

by RazeenJ957 Tue May 31, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi all, wanted to clarify why the answer was not C? It says at the beginning of the passage that the US relies on the continuous supply of mexican labor. If the labor is to stop, cant we assume that businesses would close since they are reliant?