Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
gmatterapril

Question Banks?!?

by gmatterapril Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:40 pm

So..I was just doing the Question Banks (NP and EVICs) that came with each of the books in our course and I thought I had a pretty good feel for the material in the book but boy was i wrong...i scored extremely poorly on the QBs...hardly got 40% correct...are the questions in the question banks generally VERY HARD...i mean they come with a level range but there was this one question marked as 600-700 but it required so much work and knowledge and understanding i could swear it was the 750+ level....has anyone else experienced this? MGMAT guys are these QBs constructed to be very hard? i felt extremely discouraged taking them...what do u advise? :(
Jack

by Jack Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:36 pm

skoprince Wrote:There is a higher proportion of hard questions in the math question banks, yes.

I assume the same will hold true for the other question banks as well. I suppose you ought to stick to the OG and MGMAT guide questions to get some confidence built up and then use the question banks as a supplement when you've got a better handle on the material.

Good Luck!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Also, some of our questions are a little TOO computation intensive. We're slowly weeding those out as we identify them from the student data (how long you guys spend, etc), but there are still a lot floating around. For GMAT-format questions, your first source should be OG, since those are real past test questions. The one advantage to the question banks (and why you may want to do them later in your study) is that we write the explanations - so you can actually learn both content and technique from our explanations. The OG explanations are sometimes a bit... skimpy.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep