Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
adam.f
Course Students

Question on Foundations of Verbal

by adam.f Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:30 pm

In Question 5 of Drill 4.4 on page 69 of Foundations of Verbal, the answer identifies "as an Islamic mortgage" as a prepositional phrase but does not identify "as he or she accumulates ownership" as a prepositional phrase.

Could someone please let me know if this is an error or otherwise please explain why one is a prepositional phrase and the other is not? Thanks!

- Adam
adam.f
Course Students

Re: Question on Foundations of Verbal

by adam.f Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 pm

Never mind. I read the section on subordinating conjunctions and answered my own question. "As he or she accumulates ownership" is a subordinate clause rather than a preposition because "He or she accumulates ownership" could be its own sentence.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Question on Foundations of Verbal

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:15 am

adam.fraser Wrote:Never mind. I ... answered my own question.

Good.

By the way, don't waste your time memorizing these terms. I don't know any of them myself -- and I won't ever need to.

The only possible utility of knowing these terms is that they might help you google additional examples of the constructions you're looking at. Beyond that, at best they're deadweight, and at worst they'll interfere with your understanding.