Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
sensei_mike
Course Students

Question on Sarah Meyers McGinty Language Power RC passage

by sensei_mike Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:23 pm

Hey Guys,

So I just did a CAT exam and this was one of the RC passages that popped up for me. The questions regarding the passage weren't too hard but what really killed me was the length- it took me 4 minutes longer than it should have (according to the MGMAT pacing details) to get it done.

I think the extra time was due to the huge number of lists involved in the passage...I didn't want to miss any so I noted them all on my noteboard.

So what would you say is the ideal balance to strike in a passage like this, to ensure it doesn't take forever to finish note-taking and also that you also don't skip over key details in your notes?

Thanks!
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Question on Sarah Meyers McGinty Language Power RC passage

by jnelson0612 Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:35 pm

sensei_mike Wrote:Hey Guys,

So I just did a CAT exam and this was one of the RC passages that popped up for me. The questions regarding the passage weren't too hard but what really killed me was the length- it took me 4 minutes longer than it should have (according to the MGMAT pacing details) to get it done.

I think the extra time was due to the huge number of lists involved in the passage...I didn't want to miss any so I noted them all on my noteboard.

So what would you say is the ideal balance to strike in a passage like this, to ensure it doesn't take forever to finish note-taking and also that you also don't skip over key details in your notes?

Thanks!

Hi Mike,
Sounds like you did take a few too many notes. I try to limit myself to a minimum number of words per paragraph, and all of my notes should be about the main idea of that paragraph or any important transitional concepts. I think you can omit details such as lists, as you can always go back and re-read those details if you're asked a specific question about them. I hope this helps!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor