Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
rahul.gmat

Question on scoring combinations

by rahul.gmat Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi,

Recently due to lack of time I am taking only the verbal section tests in MGMAT CATs. Quants I have been scoring 50-51, so am reasonably confient about that. Moreover, no offence but although quants scores of MGMAT are representative of the GMAT, the questions are not, at all. They get too tough and add to my frustration throwing me off my concentration for the verbal, which then makes me not do well on the verbal. But anyways, thats not the point.

I generally score 50/51 on quants and I got a 45 on my most recent verbal score.
Could you pls tell me approx what my total score qould be for 51/45 and 50/45. Most resources that I have found on the net indicate a 780 for both combinations. Is that accurate? (Sure hope so!!)

Thanx.
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:19 pm

Rahul,

50/51Q and 45V definitely puts you in the 770-780 range. That would definitely be a nice score on your Official GMAT.

-dan

Hi,

Recently due to lack of time I am taking only the verbal section tests in MGMAT CATs. Quants I have been scoring 50-51, so am reasonably confient about that. Moreover, no offence but although quants scores of MGMAT are representative of the GMAT, the questions are not, at all. They get too tough and add to my frustration throwing me off my concentration for the verbal, which then makes me not do well on the verbal. But anyways, thats not the point.

I generally score 50/51 on quants and I got a 45 on my most recent verbal score.
Could you pls tell me approx what my total score qould be for 51/45 and 50/45. Most resources that I have found on the net indicate a 780 for both combinations. Is that accurate? (Sure hope so!!)

Thanx.
rahul.gmat

Scoring

by rahul.gmat Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:42 pm

Thanx for the prompt reply and the added confidence Dan. But am still a bit confused seeing people's score combinations.

770 [Q51, V42]
760 [Q51, V45]

760 [Q51, V45]
780 [Q51, V45]

These are actual GMAT combinations posted by people.

How does this work?? Does it matter how u have performed inside the sections too... i.e. which ones u got right and which ones u did not? Can 2 people with same combinations also have different scores?
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:01 am

Rahul,

My best guess is that the scores were achieved at different times and thus were scaled against rather significantly different comparison groups. Remember, your scores are scaled against all test takers from the previous three years. Thus, the scale can change slightly over time.

-dan

Thanx for the prompt reply and the added confidence Dan. But am still a bit confused seeing people's score combinations.

770 [Q51, V42]
760 [Q51, V45]

760 [Q51, V45]
780 [Q51, V45]

These are actual GMAT combinations posted by people.

How does this work?? Does it matter how u have performed inside the sections too... i.e. which ones u got right and which ones u did not? Can 2 people with same combinations also have different scores?
rahul.gmat

Thanx

by rahul.gmat Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:35 am

Thanx for the reply Dan, ya that actually makes sense! Is there any way to find out what are the current trends in the gmat i.e. based on the previous 3 years?
Say, I am taking my GMAT on the 26th of June, could I know in advance what 51/45 would mean for me?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:35 am

No way to know in advance, unfortunately. Also, all those scores you posted - although the numbers are slightly different, they are all 99th percentile scores. In other words, there is absolutely no statistically significant difference in the scores - basically, from 760 to 800 is the same score (all 99th percentile).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
rahul.gmat

Thank you

by rahul.gmat Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:22 am

Thank you for the info Stacey