Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
yo4561
Course Students

Questions about "that" and "which"

by yo4561 Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:58 pm

(1) I am a bit confused on when "that" is needed to follow common phrases such as "I believe", "I think", "She realizes" etc. For instance, do you need to say... "I believe that the team will win." or can you say "I believe the team will win." When would "that" be necessary in cases like these?

(2) I understand how ",which" refers to a noun before it. However, what are correct examples of using "which" without a comma before it? Or, can you only use "which" with a comma before it to describe a noun?

Thank you!
TiffanyB
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Questions about "that" and "which"

by TiffanyB Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:34 pm

Hello yo4561,

(1) The sentence structure that you list below is quite common. The structure is: SUBJECT - VERB - THAT - SUBJECT - VERB

The word "that" acts as a reset better so that another subject and verb can follow the first. People tend to omit this in normal speech, but grammatically it is correct to include it.

(2) If a comma precedes the word which, it must serve as a noun modifier as you state. There are examples of using the word which without a comma in front. In those cases, it may not serve as a noun modifier.

Example: The track on which I run has just been repaved.

This structure is also correct!
yo4561
Course Students

by yo4561 Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:57 am

Thank you, Tiffany! So, if you say, "I believe they will win." This would be incorrect on the GMAT because it omits "that"?
TiffanyB
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by TiffanyB Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:20 am

Hello yo4561,

Yes, I would consider this to be incorrect on the GMAT. The correct structure is Subject - Verb - THAT - Subject - Verb.