If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
mbaguy513

R1 vs. R2

by mbaguy513 Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:52 pm

I understand that R3 is super competitive and not an ideal round to apply.

I am curious about the difference between R1 and R2. From friends and coworkers who have gone through the application process, they have had much more success in R1 vs. R2. However, everyone seems to subscribe to the school of thought that if you can put together a more complete application for R2 instead of R1 that it is better to wait and apply in R2. I am wondering if this is true. Also, how much benefit is there in general in applying in R1 vs. R2.

I ask because I am looking to take one calculus class to make up for a poor grade in college. However, doing this will prevent me from applying anyhwere R1 (due the time needed to take the class). The decision I am weighing is if it is worthwhile to delay from R1 to R2 in order to improve a calc grade from a C in college to an A at a UC Berkeley Extension program.

Thanks in advance.
MBA Mission

Re: R1 vs. R2

by MBA Mission Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Thank you for your inquiry.

All things being equal, especially in a competitive year, candidates are marginally better off applying in Round 1. In your case, you are better off proving your quantitative abilities and applying in Round 2. If you were a strong candidate for a round one acceptance, then your second round chances will not be jeopardized. In fact, a weakness will be mitigated and your chances will be improved.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

mbaguy513 Wrote:I understand that R3 is super competitive and not an ideal round to apply.

I am curious about the difference between R1 and R2. From friends and coworkers who have gone through the application process, they have had much more success in R1 vs. R2. However, everyone seems to subscribe to the school of thought that if you can put together a more complete application for R2 instead of R1 that it is better to wait and apply in R2. I am wondering if this is true. Also, how much benefit is there in general in applying in R1 vs. R2.

I ask because I am looking to take one calculus class to make up for a poor grade in college. However, doing this will prevent me from applying anyhwere R1 (due the time needed to take the class). The decision I am weighing is if it is worthwhile to delay from R1 to R2 in order to improve a calc grade from a C in college to an A at a UC Berkeley Extension program.

Thanks in advance.