Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
kouranjelika
Course Students

Radical Rules

by kouranjelika Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:19 pm

I know if we have a square root and a square of the same expression, i.e. Sq root of (y-4)^2 = 4 - y; the left side turns into an absolute value: |y-4|

But what if the expression was a lot more simple, i.e.: sq root of n = 2. Logic obviously tells me that n has to be positive since there are no imaginary numbers on the GMAT. and hence if I wanted to know the value of n, this would indeed be sufficient. But I was hesitant because if I assumed that I square both sides of the expression, it becomes |n| = 4. Wouldn't that mean that n could also be negative. Can someone explain?

Thank you!
"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
-Ayn Rand
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Radical Rules

by RonPurewal Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 am

kouranjelika Wrote:I know if we have a square root and a square of the same expression, i.e. Sq root of (y-4)^2 = 4 - y; the left side turns into an absolute value: |y-4|

But what if the expression was a lot more simple, i.e.: sq root of n = 2. Logic obviously tells me that n has to be positive since there are no imaginary numbers on the GMAT. and hence if I wanted to know the value of n, this would indeed be sufficient. But I was hesitant because if I assumed that I square both sides of the expression, it becomes |n| = 4. Wouldn't that mean that n could also be negative. Can someone explain?

Thank you!

No, it's just n = 4. You're dealing with two completely different things here.

The point is this: If you square something, then you "lose" the original sign (i.e., it becomes positive, regardless of which sign it started out as). So, then, when you take the square root, you get a number that's the same size as the number you started with"”but always positive. That's why it's an absolute value.
Note that this only happens when you square something and then square-root it.

When you write √n = 2, you are doing no such thing. Plus, "√anything" is already guaranteed to be non-negative anyway, so there is no issue in the first place.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:33 am

In any case, the following is a good sign:

kouranjelika Wrote:Logic obviously tells me that n has to be positive since ...

^^ This.
Is what you want to do.

I.e., you don't want to memorize random, non-intuitive rules for pushing meaningless symbols around a page (= what way too many people think math is all about). You want to develop an intuition about it.
kouranjelika
Course Students

by kouranjelika Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Absolutely. I just feel the more advanced stuff I practice and get faced with, the simple stuff like Sq Root of n = 2, starts to look wild :)).

Thanks.
"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
-Ayn Rand
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:27 am

kouranjelika Wrote:Absolutely. I just feel the more advanced stuff I practice and get faced with, the simple stuff like Sq Root of n = 2, starts to look wild :)).

Thanks.

I know you're being cheeky, but you're actually addressing one of the most important aspects of this test: It's based on ground-level math. If you think too much about "advanced" math, you'll start to neglect basic principles.

In other words, the point is to keep your feet on the ground, so to speak, enough to prevent things from "starting to look wild".
kouranjelika
Course Students

by kouranjelika Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:01 am

I know, but it's like a catch-22 with this test. Some stuff is so conceptual and obscure, while others are just way too simple that you start to second guess yourself (at least I do myself :)).

I'm about to post a cray cray one in another thread as per the ones I am referring to.

I completely get what you are saying though, we've discussed this before, it's the nature of the beast.
Last edited by kouranjelika on Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ayn Rand
kouranjelika
Course Students

by kouranjelika Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 am

Ron, what topic are you discussing in the Study Hall next week?
-Ayn Rand
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 pm

kouranjelika Wrote:Ron, what topic are you discussing in the Study Hall next week?

That decision is normally not made until a couple of hours before the study hall starts.