Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: RC: In American Genesis, which covers the century of technol

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 am

I marked it as (C) since this option at least relates to passage as the passage mentions "comparative neglect".

If specific words are repeated"”"”when they could easily have been rephrased"”"”then it is almost 100% certain that you're looking at a WRONG answer.

There are lots and lots and lots of other ways to say "comparative neglect".
relative lack of interest
disregard
relative indifference to
etc.

If they choose to use exactly the same words, it's almost always a trap.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:00 am

Just to be clear"”"”The above "trap" applies only to ideas that can easily be expressed with different words.

For words that can't be expressed any other way"”"”especially names of things, or extremely specific descriptions"”"”this is not a trap, since there's no way to avoid repeating the words if you want to mention that particular idea/thing.

E.g., the Sonoran Desert is called "the Sonoran Desert". It doesn't have any other names.
So, if a passage says "the Sonoran Desert" and an answer choice also says "the Sonoran Desert", there's no reason to suspect that the choice is incorrect.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:38 am

targetgmat Wrote:I am not aware if this has been answered yet.

Here is my question:
The author of the passage implies that the shift away from the views of Westinghouse's contemporaries should be regarded as
A a natural outgrowth of the recent revival of interest in Edison
B a result of scholarship based on previously unknown documents
C reflective of modern neglect of the views of previous generations
D inevitable, given the changing trends in historical interpretations
E surprising, given the stature that Westinghouse once had

The answer is (E), not C

Hi - for this question - why is C wrong ?

Per the statement in red below, isn't the shift away reflective of recent historians' works ?

I think i was drawn towards C because of word "Reflective" in option C

Passage :
This comparative neglect of Westinghouse is consistent with other recent historians’ works, although it marks an intriguing departure from the prevailing view during the inventors’ lifetimes (and for decades afterward) of Edison and Westinghouse as the two "pioneer innovators" of the electrical industry.
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:39 pm

The sentence you quoted supports (E): The prevailing view (during their time) was that E and W were the two pioneering innovators, but recently W is neglected in historians' works. So W used to have stature, but now lacks it.

(C) is too broad. "Previous generations" is more broad than "previous historians." And "modern neglect of the views" indicts all modern people, not just the "recent historians." (C) would allow a statement like this: The view of W now has shifted away from the views of his contemporaries simply because modern people don't care what previous generations did or thought! That's unjustified and more extreme than anything the passage said.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT