Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: RC: Language power

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:42 am

This is a tough question, because there's not much clue as to which part of the passage the question is referring to. While your assessment of the language types is correct, it's important to note that 'not only is language from the center for those in high positions of power, but it is also for those of lower ranks who wish to gain more power and credibility'. Immediately we can see that the situation is more complicated merely language from the center = senior employees; language from the edge = low-level employees. Further, a critical sentence is 'McGinty argues that true power comes from a deep understanding of when to use which style and the ability to use both as necessary.' Thus, powerful people use both types of language where appropriate. The proportion of each type of language isn't mentioned, so we can't say who 'primarily' uses each type of language.
ChiragS147
Students

by ChiragS147 Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi,

I am still unable to understand why option B is incorrect. The passage clearly states that "A speaker using language from the edge responds rather than DIRECTS, asks questions, strives to make others feel heard, and avoids argument. Language from the center STRIVES TO CLAIM AUTHORITY for a speaker, while language from the edge STRIVES TO BUILD CONSENSUS AND TRUST." Based on these capital words (Please forgive me if these come off as rude!), can we not say option B (Managers who use language from the edge are not authoritative) is correct? Furthermore, "McGinty argues that true power comes from a deep understanding of when to use which style and the ability to use both as necessary." If a manager has developed a deep understanding and decides to use language of the edge, can we not say that he or she won't be authoritative? Please help me with option B as I am severely confused! Would greatly appreciate it!

Jeeta
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:29 pm

I think you're falling in exactly the trap that the question lays for you. As you quote, "The main purpose of language from the center is to claim authority for a speaker". However, we need to ask, does it really do that? To put it crudely, language from the center sounds like bossy language. Now, people who want to be seen as a boss often use bossy language, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to get the authority they seek. As you probably know, people with real authority in positions of power often don't need to be bossy and use bossy language. In fact, it's often more effective for them to be polite and softly spoken and they don't lose authority by doing so. That's what McGinty is trying to say. It follows that a manager who uses 'language from the edge' could well be authoritative.

On a wider point, if you find yourself struggling for a long time with a GMAT problem, it's probably not worth the investment of time. This is a tough problem and you could easily score over 700 without getting it right. You might be better off investing your study time in other problems.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:37 pm

3. The passage suggests that which of the following would be an example of someone using language from the center?

(A) A low-level employee requesting help on a project beyond his capabilities
(B) A manager explaining the benefits of a new procedure by drawing on the procedure’s success in another setting
(C) A low-level employee believing that he has been wrongly criticized by his supervisors
(D) A manager soliciting opinions from his workforce regarding a proposed change
(E) A low-level employee refusing to alter his behavior despite repeated warnings

OA : B
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi Experts -

Question on option C for the above question . I selected C (OA is B) because language from the center is used per the passage for

-- lower ranked folks
-- A speaker using language from the center directs / makes statements / contradicts / argues and disagrees.

Given "Disagreeing " is a quality from folks who use language from the center -- why not option C given the low level employee disagrees obviously given the low level employee believes he was wrongly criticized by his supervisors.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:56 pm

^^ with regards to B -- I eliminated B because of one word "explaining" [rest of B, I do agree with]

When I read the characteristics of using language from the center vs. language from edge -- I got the impression - people who use language from the center
DONT explain specifically.

They instead direct / argue / disagree / are emotionless ( impersonality). Sure i see "Using his experience persuasively" in option B in the passage but that one word -- I got the impression this person does not bother explaining anything (just direct and do as I say !)

On the other hand, some one using language form the edge is careful, exploratory, inquisitive, collaborative = this person would take the time to "Explain"

Just wondering what your thoughts are !

Thank you !
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:47 am

Let's look at the relevant sections:

A speaker using language from the center exhibits the following: he directs rather than responds; he makes statements rather than asks questions; he contradicts, argues, and disagrees; he uses his experience persuasively; and he maintains an air of impersonality in the workplace.

Language from the edge is careful, exploratory, and inquiring. It is inclusive, deferential, and collaborative. A speaker using language from the edge responds rather than directs; asks questions; strives to make others feel heard and protected; and avoids argument.

You write that people using language from the center "are emotionless". This suggests that you're being too categorical about the types of language. Notice that the text states 'maintains an air of impartiality'. This is not as strong as 'emotionless'. The same may be happening with the idea of 'explaining'. Sure, I agree that someone who explains themselves a lot can sound like they're apologizing, but not all explanations are deferential. I could, in an authoritative way, explain what you need to do. This sounds like language from the center.

Be careful about over-simplifying the ideas in the passage. It seems that you have the impression that language from the center is 100% bossy, sort of dictatorial. Look again at the passage and notice that it's not as black-and-white as that.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:31 pm

Sage Pearce-Higgins Wrote:
Be careful about over-simplifying the ideas in the passage. It seems that you have the impression that language from the center is 100% bossy, sort of dictatorial. Look again at the passage and notice that it's not as black-and-white as that.

Yes Sage -- I got the impression that some one who speaks from the center is 100 % bossy and some one who is speaking from the Edge is more collaborative (one or the other)

Any suggestions on how to overcome this bad habit I have I suppose ?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:52 am

Good question. I encourage you to keep doing what you're doing at the moment - carefully reviewing your answers and then adjusting your habits. Getting used to "reasonable interpretation" when it comes to verbal is definitely the high-level skill, and experience of lots of verbal problems will help.

I'm sure you've had the experience of having a discussion with someone who always exaggerates what you say, for example:
A: I think we should be concerned about climate change.
B: So you're saying that climate change is going to destroy the planet?
A: No, I'm just saying that if we change our behavior then future generations will benefit.
B: So you're saying that I can never use a car again?
etc....

Don't be that character B!