Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
EisukeM117
Students

RC: "Television's Invention" from MGMAT text

by EisukeM117 Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:38 am

I need a help in understanding the first paragraph of a specific passage from MGMAT RC text; the one titled "Television's Invention".
(sorry, since I'm reading this on Kindle, I cannot indicate the specific page number...)

The first paragraph is as follows:

In the early years of television, Vladimir Zworykin was, at least in the public sphere, recognized as its inventor. His loudest champion was his boss, David Sarnoff, then president of RCA and a man that we regard even today as “the father of television.” Current historians agree, however, that Philo Farnsworth, a self-educated prodigy who was the first to transmit live images, was television's true inventor.

In MGMAT textbook, it says the first paragraph is the most important part among the entire passage because it usually indicates the topic or the theme of the passage and gives idea of how the remaining paragraphs will be converyed.

However, when I read this first paragraph, I could not understand what the topic would be because there are several important words (or key-like characters);

1. Zworykin was, at least in the public sphere, recognized as its (TV) inventor
2. His loudest champion was Sarnoff
3. Current historians agree, however, Farnsworth was TV's true inventor.
(Plus, the beginng of the second paragraph makes it more conplicated since it states as if the passage is focusing on Farnsworth...)

From these sentences, how should I understand which character the author is trying to focus on.
I'm asking you this because this kind of confusion occurs to me sometimes.

If a passage begins in a way like "It is widely recognized that A invented TV, but the idea of TV was first constructed by B", then it is easy to understand that the passage will explain about B's contributions.

But the passage is very confusiong....

I'd really appreciate if you could give me tips to understand.

EM
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: RC: "Television's Invention" from MGMAT text

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:14 am

For anyone else reading this thread, the passage can be found on p118 of the RC Strategy Guide, in chapter 6.

It's true that the first couple of sentences of an RC passage usually show you the topic, but that doesn't mean that we can always predict what's going to come next! As you say, the first paragraph of this passage contains several ideas. When we read RC passages, we want to be engaged and receptive, in much the same way you would be when having a discussion or conversation. Given the first paragraph of this passage, a good GMAT student might think "What's coming next? Is it going to be the story of how Farnsworth invented the television, or how he was forgotten, or why Sarnoff is considered the "father of television", or a comparison of the roles of Zworykin and Farnsworth, etc.?". We can't be totally sure, but we have a few ideas, which we test out and hone down as we read further.

It sounds a little as if you're looking for a simple formula to understand RC passages, but, unfortunately, there's no such thing. You need to think about each passage intelligently, as you would a conversation or discussion. And, of course, GMAT is going to try to confuse you.