Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
rafaqathussain540
Students

READING COMPREHENSION,5TH EDITION

by rafaqathussain540 Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am

ON PAGE 294
THERE IS TOPIC how to read from non gmat sources
find main point of each paragraph,main idea,content language like facts ,historical information,procesess and judgement language,any change in direction.
i cant understand it please make me understand with 1 passage.
i am also reading the economist magzine and taking vacabularies .
i am not able to take gmat now because i am too weak in english comprehension .give me other stategies
jlucero
Forum Guests

Re: READING COMPREHENSION,5TH EDITION

by jlucero Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:21 pm

rafaqathussain540 Wrote:ON PAGE 294
THERE IS TOPIC how to read from non gmat sources
find main point of each paragraph,main idea,content language like facts ,historical information,procesess and judgement language,any change in direction.
i cant understand it please make me understand with 1 passage.
i am also reading the economist magzine and taking vacabularies .
i am not able to take gmat now because i am too weak in english comprehension .give me other stategies

I understand that it's incredibly difficult taking a test that's not written in your native language, but the purpose of the GMAT is to see how well students are for business school classes that are primarily (if not exclusively) taught in English. So while it's frustrating, if you're not able to read the passages on the GMAT, you're going to struggle more so when you get to business school and have case studies and other papers written in English.

How can you get better at this? The same way that you get better at anything- practice. But it's not something you'll be able to conquer in just a few months. Learning the nuances of English takes time. Reading the Economist is great, but maybe you need to take an advanced English course or find some other way to help improve your English. You obviously know your situation better than I do, so maybe you're much more advanced than this. But when a student comes to a GMAT course looking to learn how to solve advanced combinatorics problems without knowing how to multiply fractions, we tell them to start with the basics of math. Same thing for verbal.

Long story short- if you are scoring in the bottom 10% of verbal test takers (and again, I don't know if you are), you might be needing more help with the basics of verbal, rather than trying to master the nuances of certain question types.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
rafaqathussain540
Students

Re: READING COMPREHENSION,5TH EDITIOn

by rafaqathussain540 Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I have read all the grammar portion of manhattan grammar what do you think shall i join advanced english course ALTHOUGH i know what is subject,object,adverb, phrases etc.
I have problems in reading comprehension for which you recommended the economist magazine.but how to get the information effectively and efficiently, is the issue.As in foundation verbal manhatttan book,some strategies are used for reading non GMAT sources,i cannot get it fully. give me the framewok from begining until end so that i make sure to prepare for it.
I started preparation GMAT for last 9 months but still could not do it.Because of that , most of the time depressed in preparing for it.
I have the international edition books like Michel swan for grammar and Murphy.
if you recoomend advanced coursefor me please recommend some books for it
tim
Course Students

Re: READING COMPREHENSION,5TH EDITION

by tim Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:08 pm

There is no "framewok from begining until end [sic]" that will help you with overall English skills. As for the specifics of the GMAT, those frameworks are fully detailed in our strategy guides. If you are having trouble understanding the fully developed strategies explained in our books, then as Joe says you probably just need to put your GMAT studies on hold until you put in a lot of practice developing your English skills. I wish there were a quick fix, but, unfortunately, developing a command of the English language sufficient for success in business school takes considerable effort over a long period of time.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html