If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
vkrish94
Course Students

Recent College Senior Profile Evaluation

by vkrish94 Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:50 am

Hello!

I was hoping to get a perspective on my chances at top MBA programs as well as on my GMAT score.

I recently took the GMAT and scored a 730 (Q47/V42) but received a 4 on the IR section. I understand that schools are currently not too concerned with this score but as I will be applying in the next 3-5 years, I am not whether retaking the test purely to bring up my IR score would be a prudent step. I cannot imagine any scenario where I get a higher score on the 800 scale. Would you recommend that I attempt a retake?

Additionally, I would appreciate a general profile evaluation for some potential MBA programs.

Indian-American Male (Age 21 -> 24 when applying)
Finance/Econ Major Cum Laude (3.55) from USC/UCLA
Graduated a Semester early and will start full time work in July

Work Experience:
I will be joining a 2 year analyst program at a regional boutique technology investment bank. The firm is well known in the tech-banking world but isn't a brand name outside of it.
I plan on exiting banking for a corporate development role at a large technology company (Ebay/Amazon/Google etc.) and being in this role for 1.5-2 years before applying.

Extracurriculars:
President of a large club that taught financial literacy skills to inner-city high school students during the school year
Graduated early to spend 5 months volunteering with an economic empowerment non profit. (Split my time between helping streamline operational procedures and helping inner-city homeless clients refine their job search strategies).
I will be volunteering with a similar urban development organization after graduation

Future goals: Corporate Strategy/General Management roles at a technology company or possibly Management Consulting.

Do I have a realistic shot at any of these schools?
Duke
Columbia
Dartmouth
Chicago
Kellogg
Haas
Yale

Thanks in advance for the help!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Recent College Senior Profile Evaluation

by mbaMissionKate Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:42 am

Hi there!
Thanks for posting! To address your first question about the GMAT - right now the IR is still not a significant factor in the admissions decisions. It's possible this could change but based on what we know now and the fact that you have a very strong overall score, I would not advise retaking for that reason only. It's possible the weight of the IR section could change in the future but even then, it's possible a 4 would still be a sufficient score.

As far as your profile overall, the strengths that jump out to me our your GMAT, your GPA and coursework in foundational business classes (plus graduating early shows dedication and work ethic, nice job!), and your community involvement. I don't see any red flags or concerns at this point but of course there's a lot of unknowns. If you can keep up your leadership in community activities, then you should have some really good stories to tell there. And while brand name firms on your resume can help, I say quality of your role and experience is much more important. So be strategic about taking advantage of every opportunity to lead projects and stretch your skills. Also think about seeking out mentors who can advise you on your future career goals, give you feedback on your performance, and possibly serve as your recommenders when it comes time to apply.

If you keep up the strong trajectory then I think targeting the schools you mention is reasonable but you will definitely need to make sure you can make a compelling case for why you need an MBA at that point in your career and why each school is the ideal environment for you to do so. So over time, start doing research on your targets to help find that mutual fit.

Good luck as you start your new position and let us know if we can help down the road with any questions!

mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Recent College Senior Profile Evaluation

by mbaMissionKate Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:46 am

Hi there!
Thanks for posting! To address your first question about the GMAT - right now the IR is still not a significant factor in the admissions decisions. It's possible this could change but based on what we know now and the fact that you have a very strong overall score, I would not advise retaking for that reason only. It's possible the weight of the IR section could change in the future but even then, it's possible a 4 would still be a sufficient score.

As far as your profile overall, the strengths that jump out to me are your GMAT, your GPA and coursework in foundational business classes (plus graduating early shows dedication and work ethic, nice job!), and your community involvement. I don't see any red flags or concerns at this point but of course there's a lot of unknowns. If you can keep up your leadership in community activities, then you should have some really good stories to tell there. And while brand name firms on your resume can help, I say quality of your role and experience is much more important. So be strategic about taking advantage of every opportunity to lead projects and stretch your skills. Also think about seeking out mentors who can advise you on your future career goals, give you feedback on your performance, and possibly serve as your recommenders when it comes time to apply.

If you keep up the strong trajectory then I think targeting the schools you mention is reasonable but you will definitely need to make sure you can make a compelling case for why you need an MBA at that point in your career and why each school is the ideal environment for you to do so. So over time, start doing research on your targets to help find that mutual fit.

Good luck as you start your new position and let us know if we can help down the road with any questions!

mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php