Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
SahilM634
Students

Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the

by SahilM634 Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:47 am

Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

A. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making it one of the healthiest widely available fruits

B. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than almost any other fruit, making them one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

C. Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, which makes the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits

D. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available

E. Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than the antioxidants found in almost any other fruit, they are one of the healthiest widely available fruits

OA is D.

Just wanted to confirm the rule on the possessive noun. Can a possessive noun be an antecedent to a subject pronoun?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 am

That seems a very good question. I'm just consulting with my colleagues on this one.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:40 am

After conferring with my colleagues, I can tell you that the rule for pronouns that you (and to be honest, I) have been adhering to, namely, that "pronouns must refer to a noun, not a possessive noun (except in the case of possessive pronouns, which can refer to possessive nouns)" is no longer entirely followed by GMAT. Check out problem 805 of the 2018 Official Guide. Our strategy guide is out of date on this point, but will be updated shortly.

It's important to note that GMAT are fairly opaque about which grammar rules they follow: we carefully study the Official Guide problems (and other sources they release) to look for patterns and rules. And these patterns and rules change over time. The wider rule (and the one that's not about to change) is that the correct option in SC problems should have a clear, unambiguous meaning. I recommend you analyze both the above "acai berry" problem, and SC 805 to see what kind of problems the wrong answers have.
SachinM450
Students

by SachinM450 Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:25 am

Hi, If Option C were to be:

Recent studies have shown that the antioxidants found in the acai berry boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, making the acai berry one of the healthiest widely available fruits on the market.

Would it be correct?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes, that would be correct. The modifier 'comma, verb-ing' is used to show a consequence or result of a clause and fits really nicely here.
KulvinderS680
Students

by KulvinderS680 Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:57 am

Hello Team,

I got this question yesterday in my mock exam. Although I got it right, I have two queries for option D - the correct answer.

1. Usage of those : As per my understanding, those should refer to acai berry's antioxidants not only the word antioxidants?

2. Usage of it : According to Manhattan Guide , a subject pronoun (it) cannot refer to a possessive noun. Only possessive pronouns are ok. So how, in option D, it is referring to the berry itself?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Kulvinder
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:59 am

Here are my answers:
1. The words 'that' and 'those', when used in comparisons, creates a "copy" of the noun, so can be used just to refer to different antioxidants. Here's another (correct) example: 'Dan's cat is meaner than that of Stacey.' Here, the 'that' simply means 'cat', not 'Dan's cat'.

2. Please read the thread above. This is an area of grammar in which GMAT has evolved. It now seems okay for a pronoun to have a possessive noun as an antecedent.
KulvinderS680
Students

by KulvinderS680 Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:27 am

Perfect. Thank you Sage :)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:16 pm

You're welcome.
PrashantJ404
Students

by PrashantJ404 Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi Team,

I got this question in my mock today and I was not sure of D for two reasons:

1) Use of it for possessive noun - this one got clear after going through comments
2) Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available - WHat about fruits THAT IS/ARE. Given THAT is adjacent to fruits then should be followed by ARE? Meaning wise I understand that the reference can be IT(Acai Berry) but I felt that the usage can be ambiguous.

Please help me here!
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:38 pm

PrashantJ404 Wrote:2) Because the acai berry’s antioxidants boost immune cell function more effectively than those in almost any other fruit, it is one of the healthiest fruits that is widely available - WHat about fruits THAT IS/ARE. Given THAT is adjacent to fruits then should be followed by ARE? Meaning wise I understand that the reference can be IT(Acai Berry) but I felt that the usage can be ambiguous.
To be clear, the "that" is not going all the way back to modify "it." The "that" is modifying "one," which is singular by definition.

In a structure such as "one of (the nouns)" or "some of (the nouns)" or "all of (the nouns)," pay attention to the quantity noun, not just the plural object of the preposition "of," when picking the verb.

ALL of the dogs ARE barking.
SOME of the dogs ARE begging for treats.
NONE of the dogs ARE named Fido. (= ALL of the dogs are not named Fido.)
ONE of the dogs IS rolling in the grass.

In choice (D) of the Acai question:
...(the acai berry) is one (thing) ... that is widely available...
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT