Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
AugiTh

Request for Review: MGMAT CAT5, Analyze Issues

by AugiTh Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:56 am

Thank you once again!

ESSAY QUESTION:
"Nuclear weapons are potentially more devastating than any other weapon in human history. We must stop pointing the nuclear gun at our own heads. The best way to lower the threat of nuclear war is for the nuclear capable nations, including the U.S., to lead by example and dismantle their own nuclear arsenals."

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the position stated above. Support your viewpoint using reasons and examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

YOUR RESPONSE:
It is true that nuclear weapons are devastating and dangerous to man kind. They threaten the very existence of this world. As such it is important that effort are made to avert a nuclear war in future. As mentioned in the passage above, if a nation were to lead by example in dismantling its nuclear arsenal, it would be seen as a significant gesture and a motivational factor for other countries to give up the same. However, such an action need not necessarily bring in the desired results. In fact it could do more harm than good for if a nation gives up its nuclear weapons with the intention of "leading the way" , it could end up comprimising the security of its own citizens.

Individual efforts would no good as countries are on the prowl for one-up manship. The developed countries try to impose their political as well as economic will on one another and the rest of the world. If one of them dismantles its nuclear weapons, it is not necessary that others should follow suit. Such a situation could result in a rat race amongst the other nations in their attempt to become powerful and influential.

Then there are the rogue countries, who are bent upon developing their own nuclear arsenal so as to defend themselves against their enemies. These rogue countries also indulge in acitivties that do not necessaritly help humanity in a constructive manner. As such, if a non-rogue country gives up its nuclear arsenal, it could very well happen that these rogue countries become the most powerful. This in-effect could also threaten humanity.

The need of the hour is a collective effort. Although the current option of "no first use" practised by most nuclear capable nations brings in the desired effect, it does nothing to help reduce the nuclear arsenal development in the world. The CMBT was and is a right perspective in this direction. However there are still countries who are reluctant to come under the wings of this global ambit citing individual situations and defence scenarios. The United Nations should play a proactive role in establishing a system that ensures reduction in nuclear arsenal development which would lead to a dismantling of the same over a period of time.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:50 pm

Hi, AugiTh, I'm sorry, but we no longer offer free essay reviews.

Please see the sticky at the top of the essay thread for details - you can get your essays reviewed, but it is now a paid service.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/read-me-free-essay-grading-suspended-t883.html
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
AugiTh

Hmmm

by AugiTh Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:36 am

skoprince Wrote:Hi, AugiTh, I'm sorry, but we no longer offer free essay reviews.

Please see the sticky at the top of the essay thread for details - you can get your essays reviewed, but it is now a paid service.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/read-me-free-essay-grading-suspended-t883.html

Aw that was so close....but then thanks for the info stacey....I just missed the bus eh!!!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:23 pm

Yeah, I'm sorry about that! Someone has to be the first one, unfortunately. :(
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep