Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
saxenankit
Students

Require that - Subjunctive usage

by saxenankit Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Dear Instructors,

Could you please explain why do is used below instead of does. Doesn't singular subject friend requires a singular verb ?

she requires that her friend do work
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Require that - Subjunctive usage

by jnelson0612 Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:12 am

saxenankit Wrote:Dear Instructors,

Could you please explain why do is used below instead of does. Doesn't singular subject friend requires a singular verb ?

she requires that her friend do work

saxenankit,
The sentence you have written is an example of the command subjunctive mood. Look at pages 113-114 in the sentence correction strategy guide for more information about this topic.

Basically, the command subjunctive is used with "bossy verbs", which are verbs in which someone is told to carry out some action. Examples of such verbs are demand, require, mandate, insist, suggest, etc.

The formula for putting together this sentence is the following:

subject + (bossy verb) + "that" + object + (infinitive form of the verb minus the "to").

For example, I demand that you do your homework.

--"I" is the subject
--"demand" is the bossy verb
--"that" follows the bossy verb
--"you" is the object
--"do" is the bare form of the verb--we take the infinitive "to do" and drop the "to"

There are certain verbs that take only the command subjunctive form, such as demand, dictate, and others. Again, please read the pages in the strategy guide as they give a very good overview.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
pranabiitkgp
Forum Guests

by pranabiitkgp Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 am

The last two sentences of page 113 is very direct to decide the verb form .
Suppose you have to tell you friend directly , what will you tell then - 'do your work' . not, 'does your work' . thats the verb form should be used in subjunctive mood .
saxenankit
Students

by saxenankit Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am

pranabiitkgp Wrote:The last two sentences of page 113 is very direct to decide the verb form .
Suppose you have to tell you friend directly , what will you tell then - 'do your work' . not, 'does your work' . thats the verb form should be used in subjunctive mood .

It makes sense now...
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Good to hear. Thanks prana.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
krishnan.anju1987
Forum Guests

by krishnan.anju1987 Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:01 pm

Hi,

I understood this point but I would like to know whether the subject and the object can be the same in case of such words like insist. i.e

He insists that he sees he future. Is this sentence correct? Here insists is not a bossy word right? I feel it is a word that tries to convince someone that the person in reference here sees future.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:55 pm

krishnan.anju1987 Wrote:Hi,

I understood this point but I would like to know whether the subject and the object can be the same in case of such words like insist. i.e

He insists that he sees he future. Is this sentence correct? Here insists is not a bossy word right? I feel it is a word that tries to convince someone that the person in reference here sees future.

krishnan, is your sentence supposed to say "He insists that he sees the future"?
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
krishnan.anju1987
Forum Guests

by krishnan.anju1987 Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:35 am

Sorry, that is what I intended to type. I wanted to confirm whether a word like insists can be used as used in this sentence "He insists that he sees the future"?. Would this usage be correct?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:56 pm

krishnan.anju1987 Wrote:Sorry, that is what I intended to type. I wanted to confirm whether a word like insists can be used as used in this sentence "He insists that he sees the future"?. Would this usage be correct?

I think that is fine. We would want to have some context of who "he" is referring to. I assume that your sentence would follow a thought such as "Peter claims to be psychic". Therefore, we have:

Peter claims to be psychic. He insists that he sees the future.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
krishnan.anju1987
Forum Guests

by krishnan.anju1987 Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks for clarifying this one :)
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:02 pm

krishnan.anju1987 Wrote:Thanks for clarifying this one :)

My pleasure--thanks for asking! :-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor